Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Aarontaylor786's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 6:03 AM

Why can I only get 50 mbps internet

I want better internet att is basically our only option we can only get internet 50. Why cant we get faster speeds?

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

This is your network issues. consultant with your network company

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

No, I am getting 100mbps+ (speedtested just now) through comcast/xfinity. Your website does not list anything other than a 50mbps plan.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

3 years ago

Because the large majority of AT&T's internet service area uses DSL based tech. The oldest version called ADSL is being phased out and stopped accepting new customers. Its speeds maxed out at ~6 Mbps.

The two newer versions of DSL that AT&T still uses (they stopped deployment long ago, but no plans to kill it off anytime soon) are ADSL2+, and VDSL2. ADSL2+ tops out at ~24 Mbps. The VDSL2 service tops out at 100 Mbps. But the max speed you get depends on distance to the DSLAM (usually referred to as VRAD if it's VDSL2) in your neighborhood. These nodes are where fiber optic lines from your local AT&T central office connect and the hardware in the cabinet connects the fiber to the existing copper phone lines already running to each house.

As the length of the copper line running from your house to the node increases the weaker the signal gets and the lower the max speed internet you can get. 50 Mbps means you are in a VDSL2 area. If you were closer to the node you could get 75 Mbps, if you were really close (copper line length of 1,200 feet or less) you can get the top speed of 100 Mbps.

Truth is its EXTREMELY unlikely AT&T is going to invest any more money into these FTTN (Fiber to the Node) based services. Even though they can support higher speeds. The most popular phone company in Germany for example offers 250 Mbps using VDSL2, they just upgraded the hardware in the node. Now millions of Germans can get 250 Mbps over VDSL2. But AT&T will probably never spend any more on ADSL2+ / VDSL2 service. Which means people like you and me are stuck with what AT&T offers us unless we get super lucky one day and our area gets upgraded to fiber to the home internet which goes up to 1,000 Mbps with 2,500 Mbps speeds being tested for deployment already. I'm lucky enough to be close to the node an get the 100 Mbps down 20 Mbps up speed. I also have cable as a choice but the cable company here is the worst, I've ever seen in terms of being overpriced, esp for what you get. And their cheapest option for unlimited data is $400 a month for 25 Mbps. Otherwise, the best they can do is 150 down 10 up for $120 with a 2 TB cap. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.