For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
trw_2's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 1:49 AM

Slower than slow wifi speed

My wifi speed is so slow and buffers on just about everything.  I did the speed test twice...the first time it showed that my connection was slow but the second time was even slower.  One of the choices was to check on upgrade availability.  I clicked on that and it said "Sorry, high-speed internet from AT&T is not available in your area. However, DIRECTV and AT&T wireless are available nationwide."  I had U-Verse since it was first offered.  Last May I decided I wanted a price reduction and got a bundle with DIRECTV, internet and home phone.

I clicked on Upgrade Availability and it's still buffering!!  My question is....are they slowing it down even more now so I'll agree to an upgrade?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@trw_2

Ah, a conspiracy to force you to buy more bandwidth.

• What speed have you subscribed to?
  • What speed test results have you gotten?
  • Whose speed test are you using?
  • Have you checked your AT&T provided router/gateway for any broadband errors?
  • Have you run the MyATT app on your smartphone for from the AT&T website?

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

My speed is Internet 24 - 24 Mbps.

The speed test results were:

1st test:  Download: MP3 File (5MB) 58 sec; Video Clip (35MB) 7 min; Upload: Email attachment (1 MB) 0 sec; Photo Gallery (8MB) 1 sec.

2nd test: Download: MP3 (5MB) 19 min; VIdeo Clip (35MB) 135 min; Upload:  Email attachment (1MB) 5 sec; Photo Gallery (8MB) 44 sec.

I used the test on the AT&T website.  

How do you test the router (2wire) for broadband errors?  No, I haven't insstalled the MyATT app on my phone.  Should I?  Why?  

I appreciate your help!!  Thanks!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

I have the same internet service as you and here are my results from AT&T Speed Test:

My results are well within the specifications at AT&T Speed Tiers.

How do you test the router (2wire) for broadband errors?" - You can test your DSL circuit using one of the MyATT solutions. You can view the errors on your AT&T provided router/gateway but since you didn't mention which model 2-wire you have, I will include as screen capture of my 5268ac.

"No, I haven't insstalled the MyATT app on my phone.  Should I?  Why?" -  If you enjoy telephoning AT&T to run a DSL circuit test or to report a trouble, you don't need the MyATT app on your smartphone. You can also access MyATT after logging in to AT&T website.

3 Attachments

(edited)

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

I have noticed an improvement after changing wifi channels. Instagram is the one site that is the slowest on their videos or updating.  

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

WiFi channel contention can reduce speed.

Variation is website speed is dependent on many variables from the site itself to your path to the website. Some popular websites have multiple servers and router/switches at their website attempt to balance user loads across the servers.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for your help.  I have a two-story condo and my wifi is really weak downstairs since my router is upstairs.  Would an extender help?  If so, what brand?  Are they difficult to install?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@trw_2

I have had good success with Netgear WiFi extenders, though there are others. Whatever you choose, don't go on the cheap or a brand that does not provide model choices. Installation is easy but make sure that you configure the extender to have a different SSID. This way a device will choose the SSID for the strongest signal.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much!!

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you!!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.