For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
MMC2ELGIN's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Monday, January 1st, 2018 10:30 PM

Re: AT&T STOP THROTTLING OUR SPEED

Very dirty. I didnt know that I had a legacy unlimited data plan. I didnt even know WHAT a Legacy grandfathered plan was. Until now.

My internet speeds had suddenly dipped down to literally unusable speed on December 15 2017. Tests showed Download speeds were .35 Mbps and Upload was .01Mbps and Ping was 285ms. AT&T replaced my modem/router Gateway, but speed was still crawling , only now I now had this strange message in my ipad Air Wi-Fi connection information. Something about Legacy router/modem service not being up to par for my iPad? Weird, everything used to work O.K. for me. Same model Modem/Router Gateway unit as before, maybe not the speed that SOME people are accustomed to, but I could still do my Banking, Shop on the Web, or occasionally view a short instructional U-Tube.

Now I know why Customer Service and Service Tech guy were putting pressure on me to change from my current AT&T plan. They dont want to support it and will do anything to get me to end it. Our home service isnt cheap at  $160.00 a month - This is just for landline phone and DSL service. However, do I really want to reward AT&T's tactics by accepting a 2 year contract for a new plan with a data cap when I have no idea how much Data I usually use in a month. Do I really want to allow AT&T to monopolize all of my communication and entertainment services with a bundle plan ? My AT&T Customer Service experiences over the last few weeks has been comparable to Keystone Cops incompetence. Letting them be in charge of everything is inconcievable.

AT&T is the only landline DSL provider in my area, Cell is spotty, and Satellite internet requires signing a contract that doesnt even sound legal. Time to investigate deeper into options on ISP. I would rather pay someone else more for internet service than continue doing business with someone who manipulates a 20+ year customer like this !!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN  ATT is not throttling your wireless/cellular data on unlimited data plans.  Any slowdown is due to congestion of the towers.  

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

They may not guarantee data speed on my Grandfathered Legacy Unlimited Data Plan. But, AT&T also has no guarantee that I will continue to pay them $200.00 every month for bad service.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Right, suddenly on December 15th 2017-  24hrs a day, 7 days a week, the towers got too busy for my landline based data service to function, and the only solution AT&T can give me is change my service plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN wrote:

They may not guarantee data speed on my Grandfathered Legacy Unlimited Data Plan.

Are we talking CELLULAR? If so...

That plan is the same speed as current plans.

(You also mentioned DSL, so it was a little confusing, but this is the cellular forum.)

But, AT&T also has no guarantee that I will continue to pay them $200.00 every month for bad service.

You are free to cancel. If it's bad service that's okay to do. (As long are you are NOT in a contract).

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry Not Cellular, Rural Residential phone line which connects to DSL Gateway Modem/Router.

Its the same situation, AT&T apparently intends to use pressure tactics or even trickery to get us to give up on our old grandfathered unlimited data plans. AT&T is claiming they are honoring the plans because there truely is no cap, they deny throttling, but have voiced they have no obligation to provide a speed the customer will find usable. The new plans dont appear to be beneficial to the customer since they commit you to a 2 year service contract, Bundling, or pre-purchasing equipment, and they still arent obligated to provide any minimum data speed (Notice they all say "Up to ***"). I probably wouldnt be wary if I hadnt already experienced how slippery they are about this minimum speed legalistic loop hole.

I finally found a contact to PM that is supposedly associated with Customer Care, maybe they will help me to escalate this? Now I must wait and see if they respond, then decide what Im going to do about this. Im caught between a rock and a hard place for now.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Same for me I live here in east Tennessee, I purchased a Netgear Nighhawk hotspot from them under my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. All great for about 7 month now they throtled me down to the point I had no connection and now I am out of business and have no internet. When I called customer service 5 times over two days they moved me from unlimited to a 25GB plan then down to a 10GB plan. Now they tell me they are getting me back on my unlimited but the back office tech takes up to 72 hrs to get my service back on? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. The supervisor on the phone tole me to read the fine print that they can move us to any plan at any time even under contract? Does not make any sense to me, I am not of fan of oversight but do believe we need laws against this type of large company bullying the customer. I use the hot spot for business and have lost some over the past few days because I cannot connect to the internet. The other interesting fact when I asked the supervisor for her name she told me she was only authorized to give out her first name and last initial and then I asked for her supervisor and I was told the buck stops with her. I then asked for my transcript of all the service related calls I made and that was also denied. SO I do believe they know there doing something wrong but no one will go after them. I am a 15 year customer and cannot wait for the day I hear on the news that ATT is going out of business. They cannot keep up with the new fiber optic from other companies and their DSL, and other high speed is still slow speed. SO I say good luck to them the minute I can jump ship I am gone, Bye Bye AT&T and sure hope many other say the same.

Fabs

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry to tell you but they are and when I called the told me that they are. They said they have the right to throttle and change your plan at anytime. You must be an emplyee of them and drinking the punch they dont care about the customers. I just filed a compalint with the BBB on them [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. They are nothing more then large corporate thugs.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@DonFabs wrote:

Same for me I live here in east Tennessee, I purchased a Netgear Nighhawk hotspor from them under my grandfatered in unlimited data plan. All great for about 7 month now they throllted me down to the point I had no connection and now I am out of business and have no internet. When I called customer service 5 times over two days they moved me from unlimited to a 25GB plan then down to a 10GB plan. Now they tell me they are getting me back on my unlimited but the back office tech takes up to 72 hrs to get my service back on? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].The superviosr on the phone tole me to read the fine print that they can move us to any plan at any time even under contract? Does not make any sense to me, I am not of fan of oversight but do beleive we need laws against this type of large company bullying the customer. I use the hot spot for business and have lost some over the past few days becuase I cannot connect to the internet. The other intresting fact when I asked the supervisor for her name she told me she was only authorized to give out her first name and last intial and then I asked for her supervisor and I was told the buck stops with her. I then asked for my transcript of all the service related calls I made and that was also deinied. SO I do believe they know there doing something wrong but no one will go after them. I am a 15 year customer and cannot wait for the day I hear on the news that ATT is going out of business. They cannot keep up with the new fiber optic from other companies and thier DSL, and other high speed is still slow speed. SO I say good luck to them the minute I can jump ship I am gone, Bye Bye AT&T and sure hope many other say the same.

Fabs

Which ‘grandfathered plan’ is that?  

The original unlimited plan did not allow hotspots.

The 2016 unlimited plan did not either.

The 2017 unlimited plan did allowed hotspots 

The most recent 2 unlimited incarnations do not allow hotspot. 

If you were using a hotspot on a plan that didn’t allow it, ATT would probably terminate service or change plans.  Perhaps they did and that’s the problem. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

It was the 2017 plan that allowed it at the time. They admitted it should have never been removed and they are working on putting it back on so they did me wrong. They put me out of service for almost 5 days very unfair.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have been a legacy customer from Bellsouth.  My download speed maxes out at less than 4Mb/second.  I cannot subscribe to MHz Choice because it will not stream at my slow speed.  If I change providers, I lose my long held bellsouth email address, I have had for almost 20 years.  ATT offers no solution.  We cannot achieve contemporary data speeds on antiquated 2 wire connections designed for 300-3300 Hz voice.  Be glad you have the speed you do have.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.