Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Modem purchase

Modem purchase

It is 1/14/2016.

I have had only basic internet and phone at $59! incl the rental, fees and taxes.

I had to drop tv it must be a year ago to cut costs. 4 days ago I received a notice that my deal on phone was up meaning my bill would go up $20 a month. I had planned to drop it as I never use it. I live in a senior community and realized I had many options in an emergency. I hate calling them so I chatted. It took me an hour to get 2 different people to understand I wanted just internet at the lowest possible price. The best the third person I was passed to offered the great deal $53 for both. They could not accept that I wanted no phone. And I would have to go through this whole process March 1st to get the deal on my inet. And I have had it happen that there is no deal available and gotten stuck with a $125. bill... Ca-razz-see! 

I found the Att Home Solutions Dept and called. A very nice, knowledgeable, easy to understand man who found what I needed for $40 plus tax $30 if I had my own equipment within 30 days. Said the fee was raised to $10. And it was effective now with no phone and no hassle March 1st. Perfecto. He said I could search online to buy my modem and avoid rental some used, some not...just be sure it was uverse compatible. So I did that and I do not know what all the stuff means so I remembered the Forum. I started looking at the subject and it says other modems won't work or you will be charged lease anyway. 

Any suggestions? Mine is a Motorola jvt579. I found one that was on a top 5 list at $30

others $60, $69 on Amazon. He said it just needed to be uverse compatible.

Any help would be appreciated by this old lady.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

You CAN buy a modem but why bother if you're going to be charged the monthly lease fee anyway?

....and it's 1/14/2017.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8

I was told I would not have to pay the $7 fee, it is now $10 BTW.
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

There are new customer promotions where they will issue a monthly credit in the same amount as the equipment fee.  But that's the only way a customer (who doesn't have a grandfathered-in situation where he is using a gateway that he purchased from AT&T prior to January 2015) doesn't pay for his equipment.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8

It may be that I brought it when I moved aug of 2015. I will call Home Solutions tomorrow. I am not feeling well and must do this tomorrow. Thank you.
Message 5 of 8
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎01-14-2017 9:20 PM

All new installs on or after January 11, 2015 would have the equipment fee.

All replacements after that date (not in 12 month warranty) would have the fee.

New customer promotions for 6M or under is $30 + $10 equipment fee, total $40..

Promotions over 6M  have the fee rolled into the price, example 12M internet is $50 with gateway included.

You agree to fee under the TOS, may wish to read....

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.internetAttTermsOfService.html

Service customers agree to pay: (1) the monthly fee specified when you ordered your Service; (2) the charge for all equipment required for your Service; (3) activation fees, connection and/or installation charges, if any; (4) late fees, restoral of Service fees and other applicable Service charges; and (4) any applicable taxes, recovery fees and surcharges which AT&T pays to municipalities and other governmental entities and may pass on to you.

. If you have not purchased Internet Equipment from AT&T or if previously purchased Internet Equipment is beyond the one (1) year warranty period (from date of installation) and requires replacement, then you agree to pay a monthly equipment fee for the Internet Equipment, as part of your purchase of or continued use of the Service and/or other AT&T services.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Are you saying if my equipment is older than 2015, I can get At & T to update it for free?

I need to update modem it is been in my house over 3 years and does not support 18 internet plan. 

So I am trying to decide if I just go purchase a new one and if so what specs I need to make sure I have or see what At & T has to offer. 

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@gstanaba wrote:

Are you saying if my equipment is older than 2015, I can get At & T to update it for free?

I need to update modem it is been in my house over 3 years and does not support 18 internet plan. 

So I am trying to decide if I just go purchase a new one and if so what specs I need to make sure I have or see what At & T has to offer. 

As stated, the is no option to purchase a modem.   As of Jan. 2015, all Uverse services require the use of AT&T equipment.

Call CS to get a new modem but just to be clear, it will carry a monthly lease fee.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support