Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Mbzquestions's profile

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

Sunday, January 15th, 2017 12:57 AM

Can I purchase a modem that's u-verse compatible?

It is 1/14/2016.

I have had only basic internet and phone at $59! incl the rental, fees and taxes.

I had to drop tv it must be a year ago to cut costs. 4 days ago I received a notice that my deal on phone was up meaning my bill would go up $20 a month. I had planned to drop it as I never use it. I live in a senior community and realized I had many options in an emergency. I hate calling them so I chatted. It took me an hour to get 2 different people to understand I wanted just internet at the lowest possible price. The best the third person I was passed to offered the great deal $53 for both. They could not accept that I wanted no phone. And I would have to go through this whole process March 1st to get the deal on my inet. And I have had it happen that there is no deal available and gotten stuck with a $125. bill... Ca-razz-see! 

I found the Att Home Solutions Dept and called. A very nice, knowledgeable, easy to understand man who found what I needed for $40 plus tax $30 if I had my own equipment within 30 days. Said the fee was raised to $10. And it was effective now with no phone and no hassle March 1st. Perfecto. He said I could search online to buy my modem and avoid rental some used, some not...just be sure it was uverse compatible. So I did that and I do not know what all the stuff means so I remembered the Forum. I started looking at the subject and it says other modems won't work or you will be charged lease anyway. 

Any suggestions? Mine is a Motorola jvt579. I found one that was on a top 5 list at $30

others $60, $69 on Amazon. He said it just needed to be uverse compatible.

Any help would be appreciated by this old lady.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

You CAN buy a modem but why bother if you're going to be charged the monthly lease fee anyway?

....and it's 1/14/2017.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

7 years ago

I was told I would not have to pay the $7 fee, it is now $10 BTW.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

There are new customer promotions where they will issue a monthly credit in the same amount as the equipment fee.  But that's the only way a customer (who doesn't have a grandfathered-in situation where he is using a gateway that he purchased from AT&T prior to January 2015) doesn't pay for his equipment.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

7 years ago

It may be that I brought it when I moved aug of 2015. I will call Home Solutions tomorrow. I am not feeling well and must do this tomorrow. Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Are you saying if my equipment is older than 2015, I can get At & T to update it for free?

I need to update modem it is been in my house over 3 years and does not support 18 internet plan. 

So I am trying to decide if I just go purchase a new one and if so what specs I need to make sure I have or see what At & T has to offer. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

@gstanaba wrote:

Are you saying if my equipment is older than 2015, I can get At & T to update it for free?

I need to update modem it is been in my house over 3 years and does not support 18 internet plan. 

So I am trying to decide if I just go purchase a new one and if so what specs I need to make sure I have or see what At & T has to offer. 

As stated, the is no option to purchase a modem.   As of Jan. 2015, all Uverse services require the use of AT&T equipment.

Call CS to get a new modem but just to be clear, it will carry a monthly lease fee.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.