Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
swroberts's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 3:29 AM

Based on these stats what should my expected download speeds be?

I have a U-verse VSL2 Internet service.    I have the 24/3 Internet plan. 

No phone just Internet and TV.  

Arris nvg589 broadband modem

Hardwired I am getting 25-30Mbps, wireless is average 13-14Mbps

Capture.JPG

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The line from the NID to the jack (green) into router is only 30' and a straight shot from the outside wall inside my basement.  But I noticed the Cat5 cable in from the NID is spliced about 10' from where the line is extended to the wall jack.  They used Scotch locks to connect the (blue/blue white) and the (orange/orange/white) to extend the 10' to the wall jack which delivers the green port.   Then they took that same 10' extension and spliced in the other 2 pairs and ran that to the bottom of the jack which ends up connecting to a LAN port on the router.  That ultimately feeds a cat 5 jack in my den about 25' away.   At the end of the day I was questioning should I have expected a clean 30' line from the NID to my cable modem?  I wasn't hear when the tech installed the line.  IMG_5395.jpgIMG_5370.jpg

2 Attachments

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

5 years ago

Your profile is 55/6 normally used to provide 45/6 internet speed tier... Just means you have more headroom over the normal 32/5 profile used for 24/3 internet speed tier and could upgrade internet speed package if desired.

Concerning scotchloks, I suspect you moved into a location that had previous service or your original install had gateway at a different location resulting in the added footage to current location.

Would I have preferred a solid direct run, yes... But considering the number of splice points from Crossbox to terminal (likely every terminal or two) plus scotchlok to tie into existing terminal, drop wire binding posts at terminal, more at NID to protector, your splitters, and wall jack, possibly 20+ connection points what is one more set of scotchloks in basement area. 

Note, it is also possible tech was out of cat5e box and used what was available,most often see direct run come into residence about 4 to 6 feet then spliced to gateway cat5e run, more likely if have (had) a POTS line to splice into home phone wiring.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

And no concern about quantity of FEC and CRC?

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

No indication of how long it took to reach those errors....

OP has 589 gateway, first released 2nd half of 2013 replacing the 3812 inid. 

OP has a 24/3 internet speed tier which has not really been an option for past two years, the 25/5 speed tier on 34/6 profile is standard new customer since 2017.

Thus possible the OP has had tje 589 from 2 to 5 years, when was last time gateway replaced or numbers reset... Unknown based upon information available.

The OP SNM are low (9s) due to being on a higher profile, which may account for errors shown. Lowering the profile back to bonded 32/5 for 24/3 or 34/6 profile for 25/5 would improve SN to around 13-14 would be my estimate resulting in fewer possible errors... But gateway numbers would need need to be reset to track improvements.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. I’ve seen it where initial service install taps into existing phone wiring. And I’ve also seen that wiring bypassed in favor of a straight run from the NID to the RG. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.