Need help connecting your router?
whydoubugme's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Friday, September 13th, 2013 3:28 PM

why does my computer go so slow?

MY computer seems to be much slower since I have the U-verse.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello whydoubugme, I'm sorry about the slow response you are experiencing with your computer. As it was previously mentioned on this thread, a little more details can be very beneficial in determining what is causing your computer to be slow. It is possible you may be having a slow internet connection and it would be helpful to provide some speed test results. Your computer may also be in need of some maintenance which can cause programs to open and close slowly with or without an internet connection. If your computer is having trouble opening programs that do not require an internet connection I highly recommend having some routine maintenance done on your PC such as, getting any updates for your operating system, scanning for malware, defragmenting your hard drive, run disk cleanup, scanning your hard drive for errors, clearing your cache and cookies from browsers. I can help you determine if there are any problems with your internet connection and have sent you a private message to assist you further.Smiley Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Is this wired or wireless?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

yes it is wireless, it seems to take a long time to download my programs, especially my games on facebook.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Could you please check the Internet speed you are getting http://speedtest.net/ and what Internet package you have?

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

I Suggest you download Malwarebytes free version and ruscan full scan of your computer.  It could be spyware/malware slowing your computer down.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, I will try that!

Sent from my iPhone

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I would download inSSIDer here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/  then run it to scan the wireless channels in your immediate area.  Pick the least congested and change your wireless channel on your AT&T Router to that channel.  Test again.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

You have received some very good advise. However, while you say your computer now runs slow you need to provide more details. Things like:

1) Slower wireless than previous wireless

2) What specific type of wireless device are you using? Is it from AT&T?

3) What is the make and model of your computer if laptop?

Additionally, have you tried a direct Ethernet connection? Comparing wireless experience to wired experience will help in determining if we have a wireless configuration issue or other problems.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.