Helpful Links

why does my computer go so slow?

why does my computer go so slow?

MY computer seems to be much slower since I have the U-verse.

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Master

Re: why does my computer go so slow?

Is this wired or wireless?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17

yes it is wireless, it seems to take a long time to download my programs, especially my games on facebook.

Message 3 of 17
Employee

Could you please check the Internet speed you are getting http://speedtest.net/ and what Internet package you have?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 17
Expert

I Suggest you download Malwarebytes free version and ruscan full scan of your computer.  It could be spyware/malware slowing your computer down.

Message 5 of 17

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 6 of 17

Thank you, I will try that!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 7 of 17
ACE - Master

I would download inSSIDer here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/  then run it to scan the wireless channels in your immediate area.  Pick the least congested and change your wireless channel on your AT&T Router to that channel.  Test again.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17
ACE - Professor

You have received some very good advise. However, while you say your computer now runs slow you need to provide more details. Things like:

1) Slower wireless than previous wireless

2) What specific type of wireless device are you using? Is it from AT&T?

3) What is the make and model of your computer if laptop?

Additionally, have you tried a direct Ethernet connection? Comparing wireless experience to wired experience will help in determining if we have a wireless configuration issue or other problems.

Message 9 of 17

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 10 of 17

Thank you. My computer literate friend is coming over to look at it and some of the suggestions I have been getting!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Employee

Hello whydoubugme, I'm sorry about the slow response you are experiencing with your computer. As it was previously mentioned on this thread, a little more details can be very beneficial in determining what is causing your computer to be slow. It is possible you may be having a slow internet connection and it would be helpful to provide some speed test results. Your computer may also be in need of some maintenance which can cause programs to open and close slowly with or without an internet connection. If your computer is having trouble opening programs that do not require an internet connection I highly recommend having some routine maintenance done on your PC such as, getting any updates for your operating system, scanning for malware, defragmenting your hard drive, run disk cleanup, scanning your hard drive for errors, clearing your cache and cookies from browsers. I can help you determine if there are any problems with your internet connection and have sent you a private message to assist you further.Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 17

I am sorry, I spoke too soon, I went in and deleted history and now I can't get on line, IP Diagnostics is giving me a warnig; NAD-2902. It was working last Friday, I was gone all weekend. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 13 of 17
Employee

Are you getting "Do not show option" if yes please click on that issue will be resolved. If not you need to reset the router using the following steps :

There will be a small reset button on the back of the router. The reset button is a raised button located directly beside the power input.

Please press the button and hold for a full "ten seconds". If you release prior to the ten second time only a reboot of your 2 wire silver box will occur.

Please let me know if this works for you

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 17

Thank you! I didn't have the filter on the AT&T wireless phone. Tonight when I got home I couldn't even get on line. But it is okay now. I appreciate your help!

Sent from my iPhone

Message 15 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support