Need help connecting your router?
Mr_Fixxxer's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 25th, 2013 5:54 AM

ipad connect RJ45 ethernet

Hello, Everyone.  The direct question to all my technical cohorts is this: "How does one connect an iPad2 to any RG or modem using an Ethernet cable or RJ45 adapter?"

The Scenario, Part 1:  Person X pays for a 24Mbit connection to the Internet, which extensive testing proves exists-- from the modem/RG to the Provider's network.  Person X has only two Internet capable devices-- a smart phone, and an iPad2-- both of which use a wireless connection to the modem/RG.  Person X is suffering from several conditions:  #1 Sales Folks guaranteeing wireless Ethernet connection speeds;  #2 The growing number of people using wireless Ethernet networks; #3 The number of folks experiencing RF interference due #2 The growing number of people using wireless Ethernet networks.

The Scenario,Part 2: Person X primarily wants a high speed connection to the Internet because they stream Netflix.  Person X pays for a Netflix subscription, in addition to their 24Mbs connection from their Internet Provider.  Person X uses their iPad2 to stream Netflix.  Person X lives in an apartment complex w/7 other wireless networks available-- meaning there are 7 other wireless networks causing RF interference.  No matter which wireless 2.4GHz channel is chosen, Person X can only obtain 2.3Mbs of BW, wireless.  Person X experiences buffering and connection issues streaming Netflix.  Netflix support states they don't have a fast enough connection to the Internet to support the Netflix features they subscribe to.  Provider runs tests and concludes that Person X does indeed have the BW to support Netflix.

The Scenario, Part 3:  Person X understands they will not be able to obtain subscribed connection speeds due to the RF interference at their residence.  They watch Netflix in bed at night, just 6 feet from their Provider's modem/RG.  All they want is an interference-free connection to their RG/modem-- i.e, an Ethernet connection.  Apple has all kinds of adapters, but none that connect their iPad2 to an RJ45/Ethernet port.  Internet searches reveal Redpark has an ipad-to-RJ45 solution, but only for cisco products-- because they require a specific app.

Considering the growing congestion of 2.4Ghz wireless networks, the RF interference that is inherent, how do we connect a "wireless only" product to an interference-free (Ethernet LAN RJ45) network-- specifically for Person X-- the iPad2?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Mr_Fixxxer wrote:

Hello, Everyone.  The direct question to all my technical cohorts is this: "How does one connect an iPad2 to any RG or modem using an Ethernet cable or RJ45 adapter?"

The Scenario, Part 1:  Person X pays for a 24Mbit connection to the Internet, which extensive testing proves exists-- from the modem/RG to the Provider's network.  Person X has only two Internet capable devices-- a smart phone, and an iPad2-- both of which use a wireless connection to the modem/RG.  Person X is suffering from several conditions:  #1 Sales Folks guaranteeing wireless Ethernet connection speeds;  #2 The growing number of people using wireless Ethernet networks; #3 The number of folks experiencing RF interference due #2 The growing number of people using wireless Ethernet networks.

The Scenario,Part 2: Person X primarily wants a high speed connection to the Internet because they stream Netflix.  Person X pays for a Netflix subscription, in addition to their 24Mbs connection from their Internet Provider.  Person X uses their iPad2 to stream Netflix.  Person X lives in an apartment complex w/7 other wireless networks available-- meaning there are 7 other wireless networks causing RF interference.  No matter which wireless 2.4GHz channel is chosen, Person X can only obtain 2.3Mbs of BW, wireless.  Person X experiences buffering and connection issues streaming Netflix.  Netflix support states they don't have a fast enough connection to the Internet to support the Netflix features they subscribe to.  Provider runs tests and concludes that Person X does indeed have the BW to support Netflix.

The Scenario, Part 3:  Person X understands they will not be able to obtain subscribed connection speeds due to the RF interference at their residence.  They watch Netflix in bed at night, just 6 feet from their Provider's modem/RG.  All they want is an interference-free connection to their RG/modem-- i.e, an Ethernet connection.  Apple has all kinds of adapters, but none that connect their iPad2 to an RJ45/Ethernet port.  Internet searches reveal Redpark has an ipad-to-RJ45 solution, but only for cisco products-- because they require a specific app.

Considering the growing congestion of 2.4Ghz wireless networks, the RF interference that is inherent, how do we connect a "wireless only" product to an interference-free (Ethernet LAN RJ45) network-- specifically for Person X-- the iPad2?

I also do not believe it is possible. We attempted to create a diagnostic service tool on iPad for the techs, thinking that the available wired Ethernet dongle would be the best way to go. It didn't work, and further investigation and discussion with Apple revealed that the Ethernet dongle is only for connection to Cameras or similar to dump the info. There isn't / wasn't a full stack for the wired connection ... just enough to fool the devices that hook up for a daa dump.

We ultimately worked it out by using wireless to connect the iPad to the JDSU test set that each Prem tech carries (JDSU does the physical connect and bridges to the to the iPad). Perhapsyou can do something similar to a wired cokputer on your network (wired to teh computer, Ad Hoc wireless to the PC from the iPad. It won't help in severely populated WiFi areas, but at least you'll have 100% of whatever bandwidth you can get without sharing.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Mr_Fixxxer - I, too, believe that only wireless connection is available. I took a quick look to see if there was an adapter cable for it & did not find one. Also, it is not mentioned in settings.

Does N or AC band provide the service you seek. You could get an N wi-fi now or as soon as Apple supports AC , go for that.

There are plenty of options if you change your display - from smart TVs - to stand alone boxes - to computers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Wow-- Just...  wow.  Thank you so much for all the input.  This is my first time checking for responses to my question.  I've been on a lot of forums, but have never seen so many intelligent responses so quickly.  Thank you for all of your assistance.

Based on what you all posted and the research I've done, the ipad2 can communicate across an rj45 connection-- but only in the circumstances where there's profit for the app that converts the ipad signal into something useable for the connected device.

For ipad to apple communications, there is some chip-set authentication that occurs that allows for something more than a simple data dump.

For ipad to non-apple device communications, for example ipad to windows-- the windows machine has apple software installed that mimics the appropriate authentication, for that device only.

Apparently Cisco's market share in networking devices was enough for another company to develop the connection cable, and perhaps work along with an app developer to write the appropriate software.

So, when licensing and market demands dictate the necessity, that's when you can connect an ipad to a RJ45 port and establish appropriate communications.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Mr_Fixxxer - How about some examples so we can look them up?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.