Need help connecting your router?
mpw101's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Friday, May 10th, 2013 11:07 PM

dns client event id 1014

I posted this to a forum but got no answer.  I tried U-verse Internet, Features and How To.

I guess I asked the question in the wrong place.  I am very new to this and am learning.  So here is the question, hope this is the right place.

I am using IE10 on Windows 7 64bit sp1.  I have an AT&T 2wire modem installed by AT&T tech.  I am not using the wireless router in the modem which the tech turned off when installed.  I am using my own wireless router, a Cisco Linksys E1200 (802.11n) which is compatable with my computer's network adapter, also 802.11n.  Also there were other things I liked about it, including a separate password for guest access.  The tech actually suggested I keep using my own wireless router.

Anyway every time my computer wakes from sleep this warning event occurs:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client

Date:          5/5/2013 1:14:52 PM

Event ID:      1014

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:      PC-1

Description:

Name resolution for the name wpad.gateway.2wire.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x4000000000000000

System

PC-1

wpad.gateway.2wire.net

02000035C0A801FE0000000000000000

The warning does not happen when I turn the computer on; only when it wakes from sleep.  Does anyone know what this is and how to resolve it?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

So it is connecting correctly; "the Gateway and DHCP Server addresses belong to the Linksys router (as it should)...."

The computer's wireless adapter has to contact the Lynksys wireless router first.  The Linksys router is plugged into the 2wire modem from AT&T.

"but the DNS Server address belongs to the 2WIRE router."

I thought it was bypassing the wireless router component in the 2wire modem from AT&T.  I thought the AT&T tech turned off or shut down the wireless router component when he plugged my Linksys router into the 2wire modem from AT&T.

Guess not.  The computer is still trying to contact the 2wire router when it wakes and since I'm using the Linksys router the 2wire never responds. 

Just leave it alone? 

The wireless in the 2WIRE being operational has nothing to do with DNS and the Linksys still has to pass through the 2WIRE to reach the internet.A DNS or Domain Name Server is a device that maintains a database that cross references the name of a website to the IP address of the computer or server that hosts the website. In other words, when you type www.google.com in the address bar of your browser,  a DNS converts that to 74.125.26.103 so that computer/server can be found on the internet.

You could just put up with the errors, or you could adjust your settings as I suggested so that your computer is not referencing the 2WIRE for DNS. You can just enter the IP address of the Linksys router or you can use external DNS addresses provided by OpenDNS or Google DNS services.

OpenDNS:

Primary:         208.67.222.222

Secondary:    208.67.220.220

or

Google DNS:

Primary:        8.8.8.8

Secondary:   8.8.4.4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

I posted this to a forum but got no answer.  I tried U-verse Internet, Features and How To.

I guess I asked the question in the wrong place.  I am very new to this and am learning.  So here is the question, hope this is the right place.

I am using IE10 on Windows 7 64bit sp1.  I have an AT&T 2wire modem installed by AT&T tech.  I am not using the wireless router in the modem which the tech turned off when installed.  I am using my own wireless router, a Cisco Linksys E1200 (802.11n) which is compatable with my computer's network adapter, also 802.11n.  Also there were other things I liked about it, including a separate password for guest access.  The tech actually suggested I keep using my own wireless router.

Anyway every time my computer wakes from sleep this warning event occurs:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client

Date:          5/5/2013 1:14:52 PM

Event ID:      1014

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:      PC-1

Description:

Name resolution for the name wpad.gateway.2wire.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x4000000000000000

System

PC-1

wpad.gateway.2wire.net

02000035C0A801FE0000000000000000

The warning does not happen when I turn the computer on; only when it wakes from sleep.  Does anyone know what this is and how to resolve it?

It would seem that when waking, the computer (Windows) is looking to the 2WIRE for DNS info. Try hard coding your wireless adapter's DNS and Gateway addresses to the address of the Linksys router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

11 years ago

You advise:

"Try hard coding your wireless adapter's DNS and Gateway addresses to the address of the Linksys router."

I have no idea how to do that.  Can you give step by step instructions?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

You advise:

"Try hard coding your wireless adapter's DNS and Gateway addresses to the address of the Linksys router."

I have no idea how to do that.  Can you give step by step instructions?

Who set up your Linksys router?

Here is how you access and change the settings I mentioned:

Open the "Network and Sharing Center"

Click on "Change adapter settings" shown in the left pane of "Network and Sharing Center" then Network connections window will open.

Windows 7 : Network and Sharing Center

Double click your wireless connection and then select "Properties".

Windows 7 : Local Area Connection Properties

Double click "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" settings from "Local Area Connection Properties".

Windows 7 : Local Area Connection Properties

In Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialogue box you can manually set addresses.

Windows 7 : Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties

There are two options present for IP Address settings.
1. Obtain IP address automatically
2. Use the following IP address

Select "Obtain IP Address automatically".

Windows 7 : IPV4 Configuration

There are two options present for DNS Server Settings.
1. Obtain Server address automatically
2. Use the following DNS server addresses:

Select "Use the following DNS server addresses:" option and enter Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS server (Optional).

Advanced TCP/IP Settings
Click "Advanced" button located bottom-right side of the dailogue box to configure advanced TCP/IP settings. Here you can see few tabs 1. IP settings ,2. DNS,3. WINS.

IP settings
Here you can assigns multiple IP address and gateway address for your system. This is where you'll set the Gateway address.

Windows 7 : IPV4 Advanced Configuration

DNS
Here you can add multiple DNS Servers address, in order of use.
Windows 7 : Add DNS server details here.

WINS
Add WINS server details here.
Windows 7 : Add WINS server details here.

You only need to change (or add) the DNS and Gateway settings. You want to change them to the address of the Linksys router which, if still using it's default, should be 192.168.0.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Click "OK" on all dialog boxes to save your new settings.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much for your time writing this very helpful reply.  You obviously went to some trouble and I thank you. 

I bought the router at Best Buy and one of their Geek Squad tech set it up.  He did not offer much education, in fact seemed to not want me to know how to do it myself.  So he just set it up.  But at some point he did say something about "static IP's" not being good and it was better to let the computer find the network and get an IP address automatically.  No explanation why really.  The router has a wide range of addresses to assign to my desktop, lap top or printer and none has a set IP.  When I turn one on it gets an IP address.

I get this error message everytime I turn the computer on:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x2016D812F190.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I was told not to worry about it because the computer gets an address on its own in a couple nano seconds.

But I get a different warning message when it wakes:

I just really did not understand that this is likely related to the same circumstance that causes the error message on start up.

I guess I really just don't get it and I am afraid to mess with it and wind up with a problem, as right now everything works fine.

Here is what I have now.  I have not made any changes.  Everything is still set automatic.  It looks like it is using the right addresses.

networkconnection.JPG

1 Attachment

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

Thank you very much for your time writing this very helpful reply.  You obviously went to some trouble and I thank you. 

I bought the router at Best Buy and one of their Geek Squad tech set it up.  He did not offer much education, in fact seemed to not want me to know how to do it myself.  So he just set it up.  But at some point he did say something about "static IP's" not being good and it was better to let the computer find the network and get an IP address automatically.  No explanation why really.  The router has a wide range of addresses to assign to my desktop, lap top or printer and none has a set IP.  When I turn one on it gets an IP address.

I get this error message everytime I turn the computer on:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x2016D812F190.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I was told not to worry about it because the computer gets an address on its own in a couple nano seconds.

But I get a different warning message when it wakes:

I just really did not understand that this is likely related to the same circumstance that causes the error message on start up.

I guess I really just don't get it and I am afraid to mess with it and wind up with a problem, as right now everything works fine.

Here is what I have now.  I have not made any changes.  Everything is still set automatic.  It looks like it is using the right addresses.

networkconnection.JPG

Well the dialog box you've posted illustrates the problem as it shows that the Gateway and DHCP Server addresses belong to the Linksys router (as it should), but the DNS Server address belongs to the 2WIRE router.

The computer's wireless adapter needs to connect to the Linksys router to get an IP address before it can comunicate with the 2WIRE for DNS, if the the Linksys is slow to respond the DNS request will time out.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

11 years ago

So it is connecting correctly; "the Gateway and DHCP Server addresses belong to the Linksys router (as it should)...."

The computer's wireless adapter has to contact the Lynksys wireless router first.  The Linksys router is plugged into the 2wire modem from AT&T.

"but the DNS Server address belongs to the 2WIRE router."

I thought it was bypassing the wireless router component in the 2wire modem from AT&T.  I thought the AT&T tech turned off or shut down the wireless router component when he plugged my Linksys router into the 2wire modem from AT&T.

Guess not.  The computer is still trying to contact the 2wire router when it wakes and since I'm using the Linksys router the 2wire never responds. 

Just leave it alone? 

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

It's been months but I finally got brave and made changes you suggested.  It worked and I didn't break anything. 

dns.JPG

Now I get warnings about other sites, but much less frequently and I can't see any pattern.  Maybe it happens when web sites are tracking what I am reading.  Here are some of the new names in the warnings of the Event Viewer.

analytics.apnewsregistry.com (daily)

pix.btrll.com

sync.search.spotxchange.com

p.acxiom-online.com

a.triggit.com

As far as I know I have never tried to go to any of these sites and I don't know what prompts the query in the first place.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.