For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
hillbilly864's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 4th, 2011 4:55 AM

disabled and need help....

ive had uverse a little over a month now and it seems to be working fine. i was just gave another computer, better than the one i have, and would like to switch the hardlines over without messing anything up. all i have is the standerd equipment that is shipped with every order i guess.Linksys E - 1000 router that im not using, and a modem. the 2 computer towers i have are not wireless and i dont wanna mess up my connection by turning off anything. PLEASE someone help me!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

If you want to "switch over" - at the computer end - unplug the cat5 network cable connecting the computer to the modem and plug it in to the new computer.

Do you know the connector has a little catch that you need to press when grasping the connector? do not yank it out. It will come out easily when you grasp it correctly.

If you want to run both computers - there are four outputs on the modem. Get another cat5 cable and connect the new computer to one of the empty connections.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

hey there! thanks for the help. i didnt think there would be much of a problem switching service but didnt want to take a chance messing anything up. there is still a problem for me though. i cant acess any websites connected to microsoft, or my anti-virus service. no windows update or virus system updates. please help me!!! ive checked all networking and connecting and browsing files and folders. it appears to me that when i installed uverse on tower #1 a cookie or some other identifying material was tranmitted and then i switched to tower #2 and lost my full pass to the web. if you understand what i am saying please help me if you can. thanks so much.....

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Is this resolved? 

I see you marked it as such with aviewer's post, but are still asking for help, yes?

@hillbilly864 wrote:

hey there! thanks for the help. i didnt think there would be much of a problem switching service but didnt want to take a chance messing anything up. there is still a problem for me though. i cant acess any websites connected to microsoft, or my anti-virus service. no windows update or virus system updates. please help me!!! ive checked all networking and connecting and browsing files and folders. it appears to me that when i installed uverse on tower #1 a cookie or some other identifying material was tranmitted and then i switched to tower #2 and lost my full pass to the web. if you understand what i am saying please help me if you can. thanks so much.....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.