Need help connecting your router?
dentalbook's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 14th, 2014 7:19 PM

device manager errors

I just installed a new install of Windows Xp. I hooked up my AT&T Uverse dsl modem and it looked fine but I couldnt connect to the internet. The device manager has like six yellow exclamation marks under other devices. I cant connect to the internet to reinstall these drivers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

It sounds like one of your "yellow exclamation points" is for your NIC (Network Interface Card).  I would suggest that you determine what hardware you have, then use another computer to download the dirvers and put them on a USB stick to get them to your Windows XP computer.  Once you get your NIC working, your PC should be able to connect to the internet to download the rest of the drivers itself.

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

I would suggest you ditch XP and get a more up to date version of Windows. Geez... XP is about a dozen years old, riddled with bugs and security holes. Windows Vista or Windows 7 (haven't tried 😎 are so much better, way less bug infested and much more secure. Also many of today's drivers either won't work at all or very well with XP because few developers are going to patch their offerings to work good with something that old.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Not to mention that Microsoft is discontinuing all support for Windows XP on April 8 of this year (2 months away).  This includes all security updates and critical patches from Windows update.

XP will be increasingly vulnerable to attacks and hacks after that date especially from regression bugs that will be revealed and fixed in Vista/7/8, but not fixed in XP.

Do yourself a favor and get off of XP now.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you all for the information. You guys saved me some money. I went to another computer and downloaded my computer manufacturers recommended drivers onto a flash stick. I installed them and my internet came back. Upgrading my windows is on my to do list.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for your update and marking a solution.

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.