For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
Tduff450's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 11:22 AM

Xbox live wont connect

Got uverse/AT&T for home phone, Internet and cable recently. Well I have been trying to connect my Xbox to the wireless with my Xbox router. All computers, some being wireless, iPhones, etc can all connect and successfully use the wireless, but the Xbox can't even gain a network link in the Xbox connection test. My Xbox router shows a constant blinking which means it is searching for a signal. It finds my routers name "2WIREXXX" and when I enter the WEP it "connects" but then the signal/ network it cut off from the Xbox. Can someone help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I found the issue and resolved it on my own after a little bit of troubleshooting and help from my EE Networking classes.

The problem is a small issue, that the default settings on the modem wireless security are WPA and WPA2 which are high level security than WEP which is the only security that xbox is compatible with. You will notice when entering the WEP to connect on the xbox there is no WPA key, WPA2 key, etc. etc.

What you have to do is:

1. look on the modem for the Advanced Configuration website, http://000.000.0.000 (your IP address if i remember correctly)

2. click the settings tab

3. click the LAN sub tab

4. then click wireless under the LAN tab

5. Scroll down to security

6. Next to Authentication Type, change it from WPA/WPA2 to WEP-Shared. 

7. Click save at the bottom.

8. Connect your Xbox wireless and play with the 10 digit password on the modem (or a custom key in the security section at #5)

The other things I did is add the mac address to the allow list (can be found on google with a quick search)

And I also allowed the "XBox" application to pass through the firewall (can be found on google.)

The steps i posted i found on my own, which is why i took the time to post it.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for posting that information.  It will be good for others who have the problem you had and your solution.  Good job.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@Tduff450 wrote:

I found the issue and resolved it on my own after a little bit of troubleshooting and help from my EE Networking classes.

The problem is a small issue, that the default settings on the modem wireless security are WPA and WPA2 which are high level security than WEP which is the only security that xbox is compatible with. You will notice when entering the WEP to connect on the xbox there is no WPA key, WPA2 key, etc. etc.

What you have to do is:

1. look on the modem for the Advanced Configuration website, http://000.000.0.000 (your IP address if i remember correctly)

2. click the settings tab

3. click the LAN sub tab

4. then click wireless under the LAN tab

5. Scroll down to security

6. Next to Authentication Type, change it from WPA/WPA2 to WEP-Shared. 

7. Click save at the bottom.

8. Connect your Xbox wireless and play with the 10 digit password on the modem (or a custom key in the security section at #5)

The other things I did is add the mac address to the allow list (can be found on google with a quick search)

And I also allowed the "XBox" application to pass through the firewall (can be found on google.)

The steps i posted i found on my own, which is why i took the time to post it.

This is only true if your network security is set to WEP and not WPA. Most 2Wire gateways are setup with WPA encryption as the standard. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm so lost my Xbox one will connect with the same cable but my Xbox 360 wont?? I'm guessing it's like a gateway or security thing?? But the videos that show how to fix it have differnt but tens and options then I get under my modem iP address, please help

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So this is 6 years old I wanted to update, you can go in through the same way as listed before but the options are different.

Go to Home Network

Then the sub-tab MAC Filtering

Scroll down to MAC Filtering List

Manually enter the MAC number on your Xbox. May be different depending on if you're wired or wireless.

I spent 1 hour on the phone with Xbox, and another 2 with ATT, just to find this Forum and configure it myself. Haha

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.