Need help connecting your router?
ryc22's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, November 17th, 2011 10:53 PM

Wireless signal drops & internet bandwidth drop

OK.  I called tech support few times and am tired of talking to people who has no clue.  So far, I have recycled my Gateway everyday at least once or multiple times a day.  I was told that I should buy ATT desktop support ($18/month) and they can verify that my PC is not the issue.  

I know my laptop is not the issue since  I use the same laptop outside the house and have no wireless connection issue. 

I work from home and my laptop is in the next room from where the gateway is (there is only interior wall between the two rooms).

Here are my issues:

1. Almost everyday my bandwidth goes from around 10 Mbps(after I recycle the gateway) to around 3 Mbps

2.  The wireless signal keep gets dropped 

3.  Bandwidth drops significantly in the late afternoon and early evening

Question:

1.  Can I put a better antenna on the gateway (which model)?

2.  Should I use different wireless dongle (other than the one ATT provided)?

3.  Is there a repeater that I can add to my house to keep the signal strong?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Here is my solution (not perfect but works for the PC in the next room).

I bought a long range antenna (one for each device) and connect it to my desktop and another one to my laptop.  This signal boost seems to work.  Now I am looking for a signal booster for the back of my house (not just one device at time).

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Sounds like you could be experiencing wireless interference.  Take a look at SomeJoe's message found in the link below.

Are you able to connect wired, and are there any issues with a wired connection?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003/message-uid/2303003#U2303003

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I downloaded the inSSIDer 2.0 and there is no interference.  I also run the ATT/speed test (2.04 Mbps download and 0.24 Mbps download) before reboot the gateway.  After reboot I am getting 8.8 Mbps for download and 1.44 Mbps for upload).

The non-wireless PC is getting 8.9 Mbps download and 1.42 Mbps upload.

Is there anything else I can do?  Is there any amplifer for the UVerse Gateway (long range) that I can use?

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

@ryc22 wrote:

I downloaded the inSSIDer 2.0 and there is no interference.  

Keep in mind that inSSIDer only shows stuff that your Wireless adapter on your PC can ID as 802.11* traffic.  Interference can also come from Microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc. and these won't show up on inSSIDer (at least without the additional hardware option).

I don't believe there are any external antenna options for any of the RG devices.

An option many have taken (myself included) is to use a separate wireless access point (or router configured as an access point, many posts in this forum on how to do that) and place it behind the RG, then you can disable wireless on the RG and use that of the access point.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I got on this forum to see if anyone else was having this problem and found this post.  My problem is the same as yours except not quite as frequent - I can go about 1 week before rebooting RG.  My symptoms are: only affects wireless devices - wired computers work fine and are not affected.  After RG reboot the wireless works great.  After a few days wireless devices slow down to unusable speed to no internet activity at all.  Devices connect no problem and signal strength is good,  just no activity.  Affects laptops, my iPad, iPhones all devices.  Don't think it is an interference issue - matters not where you are in the house - symptoms on all devices are the same.  Any ideas besides a RG replacement? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

if RD is NVG510, you can either use DNS for AT&T, openDNS or googleDNS and check if it stays constant. you can also try to change range to 40 hz

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad you found something that works for you.  Thanks for sharing.

@ryc22 wrote:

Here is my solution (not perfect but works for the PC in the next room).

I bought a long range antenna (one for each device) and connect it to my desktop and another one to my laptop.  This signal boost seems to work.  Now I am looking for a signal booster for the back of my house (not just one device at time).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.