Need help connecting your router?
krbiwa's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 5:42 PM

Why won't older laptop connect?

My older laptop will not connect to the U-verse internet. I have no problem with any other system & it was working fine through Roadrunner minutes before the change. Our other laptop, smartphones, etc. all work.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Were you able to test it with WEP-OPEN. With that, I would suggest changing the SSID so you have a new unique one and creating a customer password. With WEP-OPEN you have to choose a 10 digit number. That will allow for a secure connection, and I am hoping this will resolve your issue. It worked at my house. Smiley Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Re you trying to connect wireless or hardwired?

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Everything here is wireless.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Take a look at one of these for instructions that fits your operating system:

Windows 8 Wireless Setup

Windows 7 Wireless Setup

XP Wireless Setup

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Also, another thing that might be causing the problem is the wireless security type. We get these issues with older devices that cannot connect, because by default, we use WPA/WPA2 because of the enhanced security, but some other devices do not have the network cards/drivers that can support that security and work with WEP, which is still the most common used one.

This article will help with verifying your security settings:

Verifying My Wireless Security Settings

Also, you can change the settings once you login to your U-verse modem, but keep in mind if you change it, you will have to setup all your devices once again.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info but tried both and nothing is working. Guess I'll have to get someone out here again. They were completely clueless last time and were supposed to come again on Monday but no-show. Not the best customer service.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If your talking about getting a U-verse tech back out I don't think that's going to happen.  The techs are not responsible for getting all of your devices working on the internet but simply to make the internet function, which it is, according to you.

Maybe one of the community managers will chime in with an idea but I don't think it will be favorable.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Good to know. Now I'm stuck with a worse company than Time Warner. Didn't think that was possible. Well I am a big mouth so I'll tell the world and save others from the same fate. Thanks for your help.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T does have a pay service called Connect Tech that can help get you going.  I just wanted to let you know that the U-verse techs are not responsible to get all of your devices connected and running.  No internet provider's techs are responsible for that.  They would need a whole lot more certifications to accomplish that.  If the techs had those certifications they darn sure wouldn't be installing the internet they would be IT managers somewhere.

Here is the Connect Tech site: ConnecTech Home

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

My issue is that now I have to spend even more money when my internet was working just fine on Roadrunner. I do, though, appreciate your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.