Need help connecting your router?
porjoe's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Friday, May 31st, 2013 7:15 PM

What's the difference between U-verse and IPDSL? Are they the same thing??

I recently had u-verse installed but had to cancel it since the block of IPs I was issued were not visible on the internet using and NVG-510 modem/router.

Now a salesperson wants to sell me an IPDSL internet connection and is telling me this is different. Since it uses the same NVG-510, I think they are one in the same with just different names.

Will someone please tell me if they are different or not??

I would love to have this service with a block of IPs (>12) and all of them be seen on the internet; in other words use a modem that will bridge, something nvg won't do.

Thanks

~Joe

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Here are the different packages and there available service types.  ADSL2+ is the old DSL service provided by a DSLAM.  The newer VDSL service is the Uverse service which works from a VRAD.  So whoever is telling you IPDSL is correct, but they are both IP DSL.  If you have a NVG-510 you have Uverse or VDSL service.

TierTechnologyDownstream rate (range)Upstream rate (peak)
Basic (historical)ADSL2+200 kbit/s - 768 kbit/s384 kbit/s
Express (historical)ADSL2+769 kbit/s - 1.50 Mbit/s384 kbit/s
ProVDSL1.56 Mbit/s - 3.0 Mbit/s1.0 Mbit/s
ADSL2+512 kbit/s
EliteVDSL3.1 Mbit/s - 6.0 Mbit/s1.0 Mbit/s
ADSL2+768 kbit/s
MaxVDSL6.1 Mbit/s - 12.0 Mbit/s1.5 Mbit/s
ADSL2+1.0 Mbit/s
Max PlusVDSL12.1 Mbit/s - 18.0 Mbit/s1.5 Mbit/s
ADSL2+1.0 Mbit/s
Max TurboVDSL18.1 Mbit/s - 24.0 Mbit/s3.0 Mbit/s

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi porjoe,

The information beebeesa gave is correct. I am not sure why you were not able to get it to work the first time, and I am not sure why your IP Address you purchased through us would not be visible, but we would be glad to clarify and assist with anything we can to get it working for you.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

huh???

Ok... I had an NVG-510; so I had Uverse service... right?

Is the salesperson now offering me something different? even though it uses the same model modem??

I had an NVG-510 modem before and several AT&T techs could not get it to work with multiple IPs such that my domains and servers could be accessed from the internet.

There are messages all over the forum about how it is supposed to work, but I've yet to find someone who actually has an NVG-510 working to access multiple public IPs from the internet.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

I am thinking you will be getting the same thing. Our services constantly keeps upgrading, but since you have the same modem, I am assuming that the way the service is routed to you is going to be the same.

You are correct that there is no bridge mode function on the NVG510 but that should not cause any issues on accessing your static IP addresses.

This article goes over how to setup your static IP addresses

Static IP setup for the NVG510

In this example, this person has a block of 8 IP addresses: 99.4.159.94/29. I don't think the numbers are right, but assuming that this is possible

99.4.159.94 - Network address

99.4.159.95 - 1st useable

99.4.159.96 - 2nd useable

99.4.159.97 - 3rd useable

99.4.159.98 - 4th useable

99.4.159.99 - 5th useable

99.4.159.100 - Default Gateway

99.4.159.101 - Broadcast address

So he has can assign 5 of his devices a static IP address (in your case, since you will need more than 5, it can easily be done and the numbers would just be adjusted to a block of 16 with 13 useable).

So if they have 3 devices, you would just assign the devices the following

Device A

IP Address: 99.4.159.95

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248

Default Gateway: 99.4.159.100

Device B

IP Address: 99.4.159.96

Device C

IP Address: 99.4.159.97

To access the device remotely, you should just be able to use 99.4.159.95 to access Device A. There are some firewalls that may need to be disabled.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Okay I found this and maybe it will help and the link to the entire thread is here: Re: NVG510 Bridge Mode??? - AT&T Community Support

- In the NVG510's setup, under Home Network, then Subnets & DHCP, I set the following:"

The Issue:

When family members were trying to access the Internet with multiple devices, things kept locking up. Say for example, the kids were trying to watch videos, one on an iPad, the other on an iPod Touch. The videos were buffering really slowly and kept locking up. So... back to the drawing board. Now, I have some interesting findings and a new setup.

The Research:

I researched IP-DSL and IP Passthrough a bit. It seems that IP-DSL, which U-verse is using, is actually using IP like a typical ethernet network. (Their prior DSL used ATM, which is a bit more complex technology.) The U-verse Residential Gateway (RG) is getting an IP address and gateway just like anything else you set up with IP and DHCP. The "Broadband IPv4 Address" on the Broadband Status tab is the public IP handed out to the RG. The "Gateway IPv4 Address" is the AT&T router managing the RG (typically called the "Default Gateway").

IP Passthrough is supposed to allow another device to receive the IP address of the RG. When IP Passthrough is turned on, then, the NVG510 is supposed to give its own public IP address to a specified LAN device. The instructions on the right-hand side of the IP Passthrough tab confirm this.

The Theoretical Setup

To set up the NVG510 correctly, then, for use with a home router (assuming you don't want to simply let your home router be a bridge, of course) -

Starting with the NVG510's default settings:

- Under Home Network, then Subnets & DHCP, I set the following:

Device IPv4 Address:

DHCPv4 Start Address:

DHCPv4 End Address: 

- Under Home Network, Wireless,

Wireless Operation: Off

- Under Firewall, IP Passthrough,

Allocation Mode: Passthrough

Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-fixed

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address:

On the AEBS, then:

- Under Internet, Internet Connection,

Connect Using: Ethernet

Connection Sharing: Share a Public IP Address

- Under Internet, TCP/IP,

Configure IPv4: DHCP

- Under Internet, DHCP, the DHCP values are set as normal, with an address range in a different subnet from the RG, though, in order to prevent double NAT messages. (For example, if the RG is 192.168.1.x, the AEBS is 192.168.2.x)

Restart the NVG510, then the AEBS.

Theoretically, the NVG510 should, using its own DHCP, give the AEBS its own public IP address (the "Broadband IPv4 Address"), a valid Subnet Mask, and the Default Gateway (Router) value equal to the "Gateway IPv4 Address".

In actuality, for some reason, the NVG510 only will give the AEBS its Gateway  and DNS values. The AEBS gets an internal IP address and a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.255. I suspect a bug, er, "feature", in the NVG510's firmware...

The Actual Setup

The fix, then, is to set everything up as described above - except... in the AEBS, I changed the last step:

- Under Internet, TCP/IP,

Configure IPv4: Manually

IP Address:

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (Note that I'm not certain this is correct. The NVG510 doesn't show a subnet mask on its Broadband/Status tab, but the values I have showing would work with this mask.)

Router:

DNS:

Yay, It Works

No more lockups; everything is running smoothly with multiple devices accessing the Internet at the same time.

I'm going to mark this post as the answer, though hopefully I won't later get my hand slapped and told how I terribly messed things up - i.e., anybody trying anything I suggest in any post anywhere does so at their own risk, of course. I don't claim to be an expert - just yet another experimenter in the 'net world. Anybody with more expertise and good explanations is welcome to jump in!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for posting that information beebeesa. This is usually the way I setup most of the devices, also, and for the most part, no issues. Smiley Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Maybe I could offer this as assistance also?

Port Fowarding

1. Open your browser and go to 192.168.1.254 (when prompted for the password use the system password on the side of the NVG on the yellow sticker)

2. Click "Firewall" at the top then go to "NAT/Gaming"

3. Select the "Service" under "Application Hosting Entry" , then select "Needed by Device" and select device needing the specified port(s) and click "Add"

(Note: repeat step 3 for each device and/or port needed per device)

4. If your service or port is not in the list already you may add it a custom service in the "Manage Custom Serivices" by clicking "Custom Services"

5. Fill in the needed information for your custom port and click "Add" at the bottom

6. When added repeat step 3 to add service to device.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Read the key sentence in this response....

"Yay, It Works

No more lockups; everything is running smoothly with multiple
devices accessing the Internet at the same time."

Multiple devices GOING OUT to the internet is not the problem. Internet 101 teaches how to set up routers using 192.168.x.y, but those IPs don't route on the internet.

The problem is being able to connect to my domains and servers... e.g. http://www.EastARK.com... or even by ip.... http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz. The block of IPs is not being seen from the internet.

I'll reserve comments about Port forwarding. I think I tried that before but don't recall exactly what I did. Whatever I did, did not work either.

Once again.... Point me to someone who actually has this working with multiple IPs.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Sounds like I can't help any further.  I get an "A" for effort?  Hope it all works for you.:smileycool:

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi porjoe,

Sorry about all the inconveniences. Just in case someone else runs into a similar problem, the information that beebeesa posted should help with most setups. The issue we had with his account was that we had an internal route on our side that was not setup correctly. That error has been corrected.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.