For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
strangeducks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 3:08 PM

Uverse Initial Install - Inside the house?

It's available for my location. Just now making choices for phone and Internet upgrade (to 18) from DSL and traditional landline to Uverse.

It ATT website states that I must have a tech come to the home for install for the service selected. I'm trying to understand why and what they will actually do.

Inside the house:

Do the existing DSL phone line filters stay in place, replaced or are they discarded?

Besides connecting the new gateway which appears nothing more than swapping out the old for the new (correct?), are they any unique modifications inside the home that need to be done? If this is the case, I'd prefer to INSIDE install myself. Any install work outside is OK.

I do have an alarm system.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Your older DSL filters are for different frequency ranges vs the ADSL2+ or VDSL2 filters, so a new filter may be needed, depending on how you do phone service.  If you take U-verse voice, then no filters are needed at all.  If you keep POTS phone, then normally you'd get a whole house filter in your NID.

The technician will run a dedicated Cat 5e cable run from your NID to wherever your Residential Gateway (RG) is installed.  If you have U-verse Voice, he can backfeed dialtone from there into a nearby voice outlet for extensions in other places.

You may wish to string/fish the Cat 5e cable from the NID to your RG location in advance.  The installer will terminate ends for you.

RE: The alarm system.  If you alarm system uses the phone line, then you should verify that it is compatible with a VOIP system.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I agree with Jeffers post. Just to focus on - are they any unique modifications inside the home that need to be done?

Yes, The U-verse wiring is completely different from the DSL wiring. DSL connection can be overlaid on phone wiring, using the filters to seperate the voice. With U-verse, the phone wiring is reused ONLY for phone.

For, u-verse a cat5 direct from NID to RG is required. As jeffer says.

In addition to verifying that the alarm works with VOIP, the wiring kind of reverses.

With POTS/DSL the line side goes to the NID for dialing out & all the inside phones are are connected to the in-house side. This allows the alarm to cut off the phones when it grabs the line for dialing.

With u-verse voice, the line connection is on  the RG tel 1/2 jack & can be "backfed" to the house wiring. With an alrm, you would want that to be direct connected to the line side of the alarm, with no other legs. The rest of the house wiring remains on the in-house side of the alarm.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks to both for answering, it was the detail I was looking for and also alerted me to a potential headache with the alarm system. I want to go into selecting service and the like knowing what to expect regardless of what some hard-pressing sales rep tells me on the phone. I'm not real excited about the install requirements but, it's better that I know now than when the tech shows up at the door.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.