For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
steveDH's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, June 15th, 2013 8:02 PM

U-Verse Installation

Having received a letter about upgraded service in my area I ask the Social Media team if this improvement was the Bonded Pair Technology. After checking my address they responded that it was, so I ordered a U-verse installation. After a survey of what I wanted/needed I was left with a couple of questions.

1. Is there any difference in capabilities/performance if the Gateway is being routed to the STB with coax or Ethernet cable?

2. Can the wireless-capable STB be connected via coax or Ethernet cable?

3. Is there any preference to connecting the DVR to either coax or Ethernet?

Here's a picture of what I'd like the connections to be. All coax and Ethernet cabling exist today although some of the existing Phone-lines have had repairs. The Family room TV has both coax and Ethernet available but the living room TV has only coax.

I want to be prepared when they get here so if you see anything unworkable please let me know.

Installation.JPG.jpg

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Generally if it's a bonded pair iNid install, it's all connected by coax, there are indoor units where you can connect computers by ethernet too.

Coax and ethernet will perform equally.  Where ethernet is plug/play, coax has to be RG-6, crimped ends must be changed to compression (and all coax wall plates too) and all have to be wrench tight .

You can just get an STB connected by coax or ethernet and think wireless one can be connected that way too.

Any other questions, Community Mgrs will be around soon. Smiley Wink

Chris

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Oops: The connection between the STB and TV marked Ethernet should say HDMI.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi stevedh,

The information that mibrnsurg is spot on. The only correction is that the wireless STB does not have  a coax-in connection.

1. Is there any difference in capabilities/performance if the Gateway is being routed to the STB with coax or Ethernet cable?

So just as mibrnsurg stated, they both perform equally well but if you have a bonded pair connection going to an iNID, it will generally be connected with coax for best results.

2. Can the wireless-capable STB be connected via coax or Ethernet cable?

It can connect via Ethernet cable or wireless.

3. Is there any preference to connecting the DVR to either coax or Ethernet?

There is no difference, but most installers prefer to do it via Ethernet to isolate the connection so it does not feed off a splitter.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your help. After looking up iNid installations I think I understand. It looks like the coax from the iNid will have to be split then run to the one STB and the router. That shouldn't be a problem if I keep the STB/DVR on Ethernet. I'm assuming they have a non-DVR STB that has a coax connector.

Thanks again!!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

That's just a regular STB that can use both coax and ethernet. Smiley Wink

Chris

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately we just canceled our U-Verse installation because the installer apparently didn't want to work on a Friday afternoon. Although that's an assumption as to motive here are the facts.

We received all e-mail and text messages from AT&T. The folks had come out yesterday and marked the utilities. We received a text telling us today was the day and by 2:00 pm I was all prepared. The cars were out of the garage the pathway to the utility room was free and clear and all of the installation locations were accessible.

We then received a text saying AT&T was sorry that they couldn't complete the installation. This was around 3:00pm (the middle of the window). We called the number and asked why and after contacting dispatch they told us the technician had come by and nobody was home. This is absolutely NOT TRUE.  We were here,  one garage door was open and I was looking out for their arrival so that I could discuss the bonded pair installation in more detail.

The customer service rep wanted to reschedule in a couple of weeks but we are leaving on a trip and since I didn't want to schedule too far in advance, I canceled.

After I moved all of the furniture back, put the cars away, I sent an e-mail to the Social Media Manager who had contacted me telling him exactly what I've written here. I know I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands but when I go to all of the effort to research and prepare for an installation and get treated like this you can be certain I won't be an AT&T customer much longer.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

We apologize for the inconveniences stevedh. We have a process to expedite these type of issues, and all I can think of is a possible mistake by the technician where he might have went to the wrong house or input it wrong in his GPS.

I am truly sad to hear this, and if there is anything we can do to help out, let us know.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

We received the text message at three and I'm pretty sure that 2:00 - 4:00 is their last window but because he entered "not home"  in "the" computer they erased all of the data including who the technician was (this according to the rep on the phone). If he went to the wrong house why couldn't he be told to go back to the right one? It was only a little after 3:00  when we called to find out why they couldn't do the installation - the window was open. I'm not buying the excuses. It's hot, it's Friday, it was a late job, and they apparently don't track or communicate with the installers very well. If there is a process to deal with this the telephone rep sure didn't know about it  because her "oh well" attitude just added to lack of respect I felt as a customer asking for help.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

You are correct, the 2-4 appointment window is our last window. But usually, if we can catch the tech fast enough, we can usually tell them to go back out. Unfortunately, unless they went to lunch afterwards, they usually get assigned another ticket in the system. Even though that is our latest shift, the technicians still have a few hours left before the end of their shift, so there should be no reason why they would avoid this.

I am hoping the telephone rep did everything they could to expedite this, although it sounds like they did not convey that over, and I apologize for that.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I'm sorry too. Please understand that I'm pissed and ranting but you were not the target and I appreciate your responses.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.