Need help connecting your router?
mikedamirault's profile

Guru

• 

363 Messages

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 8:35 PM

Trying to purchase an HPNA bridge

I'm trying to find an HPNA bridge that is compatible with the HGV 3801 in order to get Internet access to a room that isn't wired with CAT5

I have looked online and found that either the Motorola TER-HPNA2 (which I understand is included in the Xbox kit) or the Actiontec HCB1000, should work fine for what I plan to use it for

Problem is I can't find a site that sells them (at least not one that I trust)

Does anybody know of a safe reputable website that sells them (other than eBay)? Or is there a way to get one through at&t (without having to order the Xbox kit)?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

363 Messages

11 years ago

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but I did want to say that I did find an Actiontec HPNA bridge a while ago, and was able to get it up and running

@gregzoll_1, "As for computers/devices that do not support Wireless, or you do not want to add a wifi card to the computer, use a Bridge or Ethernet over power adapter, to make things simple."

I do computer/electronics repair as a hobby, and some older systems I work on don't have wireless hardware, so instead of installing a wireless card and its corresponding drivers, only to remove it after repair, it's just easier to use a wired connection, also, the RG (living room) and office are behind different breakers, so the powerline adapters would have issues

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Any Wireless Repeater or Bridge will work with the RG. Dlink Even Ethernet over Power will work.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
Any Wireless Repeater or Bridge will work with the RG. Dlink Even Ethernet over Power will work.

The wireless bridge isn't a bad idea, nor the "power link" adapters.  But the HPNA bridge would probably be cleaner if he can find one.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

It would actually be slower than the other two options.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Not necessarily.  The HPNA can go up over 100 Mbps.  802.11g is limited to 54 Mbps.  Powerline adapters are usually 100 Mpbs.

Guru

• 

363 Messages

11 years ago

A wireless bridge could possibly work in my situation, though I remember SomeJoe saying something about wireless bridging being incompatible with the RG

I don't really need a repeater, the wireless signal from the RG covers my house pretty well, this was more for computers/devices that don't support wireless

I did happen to find an Actiontec bridge on Amazon, so hopefully that should do it

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The bridge is only incompatible if you are trying to connect a Set top to it. As for computers/devices that do not support Wireless, or you do not want to add a wifi card to the computer, use a Bridge or Ethernet over power adapter, to make things simple.

As for wifi, Wireless-n may be faster, but it is not going to make the Internet speed you get from ATT any faster. Just makes it quicker when you move files around the network between computers. Wireless-N devices run in both G & N modes for the majority out there.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

As an FYI, AT&T does have HPNA bridges from Motorola that (I believe) are issued to to adapt XBOX client on systems using coax/HPNA.

The Motorola model number is "Ter-HCNA2"

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

11 years ago

@ScottMac --  Good to know!

@ScottMac wrote:

As an FYI, AT&T does have HPNA bridges from Motorola that (I believe) are issued to to adapt XBOX client on systems using coax/HPNA.

The Motorola model number is "Ter-HCNA2"

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.