Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Trying to get battery backup system for WiFi services when power goes out.

Contributor

Trying to get battery backup system for WiFi services when power goes out.

We had a battery backup when we originally moved to our house.  But when we had a tech come it was beeping and he pulled it and did not replace it and indicated that we did not need it.  We were able to have WiFi services with that battery the first year we were here.  Now our power has been going out and we no longer have that option.  After searching AT &T website and chatting with technician I am still no where closer to solving this.  I have no problems purchasing the equipment.  But it seems as though this is impossible.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to resolve this?

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage

Re: Trying to get battery backup system for WiFi services when power goes out.

The question would be better served on the Internet forum, not the wireless (cellphone) forum.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

First off, AT&T no longer offers battery back up.  Secondly, any older RG that might have either an internal or external BBU only provides power of you have VOIP (digital phone service).

The oldest RGs had a large brick BBU.  Newer RGs had an internal battery and the newest has NO BBU at all.  Which gateway do you currently have (not that it matters because it will not provide internet power)?

Bottom line, you need to research and buy your own backup power source.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Employee

Your either looking to purchase a UPS, run time determined by size of battery and number of devices drawing amps. APC UPS is one choice.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/categories/power/uninterruptible-power-supply-ups-/computer-and-perip...

Or consider a whole home generator maybe from Generac.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master

Search the make and model of your modem/gateway.  I'm betting you can find a battery, or do as suggested and get a good UPS.  Battery life is 3-5 years average.  The beeping only meant the battery was bad in most cases, sometimes it's the inverter, but that's rare.  You can get a pretty good UPS for around 100 bucks, look at the wattage sticker and just plug in the numbers, most sites can give you a pretty good ball park as to how big a one you need.  You'll have to know what your average outage is, I usually shoot for 30 minutes run time, the battery in your gateway probably wasn't good for more than 20 minutes or so.  My experience has been much longer outage than that you have to get into the bigger high dollar ones.  APC, Minuteman are usually your lower priced ones, but they're fine for what you're doing, just don't go real cheap.  If your figures say you need a 600VA get a 900 the price difference isn't that great.  

Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

@spoom2  While the NVG589 had an internal battery, the BGW210 has no battery back up, internal or otherwise.  That's why I asked which gateway the OP had. 

Battery backup for wifi gateways

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

I don' think it was mentioned but if the OP has a fiber connection the ONT need battery backup too.

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Master

@skeeterintexas Understood, that's why I told him to search his make and model.  A decent UPS would be better and last longer in my opinion, even if it will take an internal battery.  Of course we all know about opinions. :ponder:

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support