Need help connecting your router?
Dradoh's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013 9:15 AM

Second computer connected but no activity

Hello, I recently upgraded services and my internet is up and runningon this pc.  I recently tried plugging a second pc via ethernet cable and my network connections says im connected but it has no activity being sent or recieved. im pretty sure this problem is on my end. i get a error 106 can not connect to the internet when i open a browser.

also when i look at this pc's network connections i see "local area connection"(100mbps) witch is working and "1394 connection" (400mbps)witch also says connected but no activity.

on the secondairy pc (no internet)in network connections i only see "1394 connection"(400mbps) witch says connected but has 0 activity, no packets being sent or recieved

the local area connection properties r set up the same on both pc's except this working internet pc has a qos packet schedueler set up.

on the 1394 connection status when i click support all the information under connection status is blank btw

i recently upgraded from adsl to uverse high speed

modem model 3600hgv

can anyone steer me into the direction of why my second pc cant access the internet?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

this forum along with the chat help have helped me solve my problem. turns out i uninstalled some of my network adapter drivers and have reinstalled and solved my problem. ty geekboy and chat rep vishnal u guys helped me save 75 bux!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

First off, the 1394 connection u=is the FireWire port.  Very few people understand that it canbe used for a form of networking, and if you don't plan to use it as such, you can disable the network adapter for the 1394 port.

Now on to your other issue.  On the two computers, what do they show for their IP Address?  The one that works probably shows a 192.168.#.# address, where the one which doesn't most likely shows something like 169.#.#.#.  Is this accurate?  If so, then your second PC is not getting an IP Address from your router (residential gateway).

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

yes the working pc has a ip of 192.168.#.##. but i cant find the non wokring computers ip because when i go to network connections I have no "local area connection" icon to click on

ty for reply

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

FTR, I have a Dell Laptop that indicates the 1394 connection is live when I stick a cable in the RJ45 jack for Ethernet, and is not live when it is removed.  Very annoying and can lead to just this sort of confusion.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.