Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Router swtiching

Highlighted

Router swtiching

I have a Arris nvg510 but I’m only running 0.94 upload speed , and it’s too slow can I upgrade the router or use a arris surfboard n300 | 300 dual band?

Message 1 of 9

Re: Router swtiching

*arris surfboard N300 | 300 SBG6580

Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Laflame2737, no.  A Surfboard would be a DOCSIS "modem," not a DSL modem.   Your speed issue is most likely your distance from the Central Office.  If you need higher speed, you'll need to see if AT&T can upgrade you to VDSL2 or fiber service; see if they have some wireless option that will suit, or go somewhere else.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9

I have uverse fiber optic but it’s only running at 16 down 0.94 down. The modem is a arris nvg510 it’s a couple years old could it be the modem or the service plan I have?

Message 4 of 9

0.94 upload

Message 5 of 9
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Laflame2737
‎06-04-2018 10:17 AM

A 510 gateway is/was for ATT /Uverse ADSL2+ from either a fiber based CO (central office) or RT (Remote Terminal). 

For the 18/1, best single pair available on ADSL2+ means your 3000 feet or less on copper phone wiring from the source.

You could ask for a newer gateway, expect the 5031 or 589 but your profile would still be 18/1 unless could be switched to FTTN vDSL from VRAD which would provide at faster speed tier. If available, depending on loop length the two VDSL speed tiers would be either 25/5 less than 2200 feet or 25/2 if longer loop.

Note, for the switch service to occur, you have to have service from an IP-RT. If your service is from IP-CO there is no upgrade option to vDSL.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Laflame2737 wrote:

I have uverse fiber optic but it’s only running at 16 down 0.94 down. The modem is a arris nvg510 it’s a couple years old could it be the modem or the service plan I have?

As my thoughts stated, the NVG 510 is an ADSL2+ router, not a VDSL2 router.  I didn't notice on my first read that it was an upload speed of ~ 1 Mbps you were having issues with.  That's the best AT&T will do on ADSL2+.  Your download speed is pretty good for the 18/1 ADSL2+ service as well.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 9

How do how do I find out if my service is IP - RT

Message 8 of 9
Employee

Outside of scheduling a service appointment, not sure. Type of service is on the repair work order.

If you know where the central office (ATT building) is located and your within .5-.6 a mile that would be it. Generally COs are near the center of downtowns in community. ADSL2+ can cover 2.5 miles but speed drops as distance increases. 18, 12, 10, 6, 5, 3, 1.5, .75 would be the speed tiers.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support