Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New internet service, no phone jack in apartment

Highlighted
Contributor

New internet service, no phone jack in apartment

I just recently switched to Uverse internet from comcast due to comcast getting too expensive.  i had a few questions.  My apartment currently doesn't have a phone jack in my apartment, i know my neighbors have uverse in their apartment.  Am i going to be charged to have a phone jack installed if so, can uverse internet be run through excisting coax cables that were used when i had comcast.  thank you for your time

Message 1 of 11
Expert

Re: New internet service, no phone jack in apartment

fanofsaosin6682 - You do need connect to an interface point. Att is responsible to get to that interface point. The customer is responsible for wiring beyond that point. Those wires should be cat3 or cat5.

In a house the interface point is a wired connection in a NID on the side of the house. A Multi-dwelling unit is a little more complicated. It could be the landlords responsibility to wire from the NID to your apartment. You need to find out where your interface point is & how it gets to your apartment. Expect to pay for any wiring/jacks in your apartment or have landlord pay.
Message 2 of 11
Employee

Did you choose a self install or full tech install ( internet only FTI $149 plus $100 for RG)

In an MDU there is almost always jack either in the kitchen or off the kitchen, if a jack exists a cat5 cable can be run down the wall, around baseboards, over door frames to desired RG locations.

If truly no jack one would need to be installed, normally landlords responsible,
A tech can install if able to get wire from serving terminal to unit, will need written permission to drill holes.
The tech can only bill you the account holder, your have to see if landlord will reimburse you or reduce your rent equally charges.
If tech cannot install will be rejected due to MDU wiring issues.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 11
Contributor

i choose the self install because i was told by a rep that a technician would be able to install a jack at no cost, i call a second time to reassure they tell me there might be a charge and it could be possibe to run the internet through a coax cable. im really starting to second guess my decision.  i even told them i would probably need the 100 tech install... and now its going to be 150..

Message 4 of 11
Employee
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by ATTJulieCS
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Fanofsaosin6682, my apologies, normal full tech installs are $149. In reviewing ATT current offerings the installation price has been lowered to $99, rather is a permanent change or a promotion price install not sure.

On a customer self install the tech will install jumper(s) at SAI, verify sync at serving terminal. You assume all responsibility from the NID to RG including interior wiring and jack.
The full tech install will handle inside issues.....

Offers available for new AT&T Internet customers only. 12-month term required. After 12 months, standard rate applies unless cancelled by customer. Qualifying AT&T home phone service required. Promotional rates may no longer apply if customer changes their speed tier during term. Up to $180 early termination fee applies. Internet gateway required. Promotional pricing
applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees, up to $99 installation and other charges. U-verse Internet price includes 250 GB of data/mo. Speed claim(s) represent maximum downstream speed capabilities which may vary andare not guaranteed. Many factors can affect actual speeds including the use of other U-verse services. Taxes apply. U-verse price includes 250GB of data/mo. For more information, go to www.att.com/internet-usage.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 11
Contributor

Were you able to solve this problem? We just got the self install package from U-verse but our apartment does not have a phone jack and I am not sure what to do to set-up the Internet. I don't want to go back to comcast 

Message 6 of 11
Employee

Recommend contacting apartment owner/manager to determine next step. For Uverse tech to install wiring/jack you will be billed as a failed self install ($99) plus tech needs approval for running wire/drilling holes.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
" INSTALLATION/SERVICE

You will be responsible for payment of service charges for visits by AT&T or its subcontractors to your premises when a service request results from causes not attributable to AT&T or its subcontractors, including, but not limited to, when you are unwilling to complete troubleshooting steps requested by AT&T. You will provide AT&T and its subcontractors with reasonable access to your premises in order to install, maintain, and repair the Service and you authorize any other adult resident or guest at your residence to grant access to your premises for these purposes. You understand and agree that AT&T may drill, cut, and otherwise alter improvements on the premises (including walls, flooring, and/or other surfaces) in order to install, maintain, or repair the Service. If you do not own your premises or your unit is part of a multi-tenant environment (e.g., apartment building, condominium, private subdivision), you warrant that you have obtained permission from any necessary party, including but not limited to the owner, landlord, or building manager, to allow AT&T andits subcontractors reasonable access to install, maintain, and repair the Service and to make any alterations AT&T deems appropriate for the work to be performed.

You acknowledge that AT&T may use existing wiring, including altering the wiringand removing accessories, located within your unit ("Inside Wiring"). You warrant that you ownor control the Inside Wiring, and give AT&T permission to use, alter, and remove equipment from, such wiring. Without limiting any other provisions of this TOS, you agree to indemnify AT&T from and against all claims by an owner, landlord, building manager, or other party in connection with installation, maintenance, repair, or provision of the Services."
Message 7 of 11

@onlyvigi wrote:

Were you able to solve this problem? We just got the self install package from U-verse but our apartment does not have a phone jack and I am not sure what to do to set-up the Internet. I don't want to go back to comcast 

How did the building ever pass inspection?  Most states require at least one working phone jack

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 11
Contributor

Hi.

I need a dual phone/internet jack in a room that doesn't have one. I am okay paying the $99 or $149 charge if it can be done.

I had read somewhere that a tech will only install the jack, but not wire the cat5 cables to that jack. Is that true?

I have an appointment scheduled for a tech tomorrow but there is no point if they wont do the wiring. Because if I have to hire someone to come wire to the outside box or to the modem then I may as well have them do all of it.

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
Expert

norosn - It does not make sense to install a wall jack that cannot be connected.

I am interpreting that the statement that a tech would not wire the jack was becuase at& t will not commit to wall fishing because it can be difficult or impossible. I believe, if the connection can be wired on the surface - like along the top of the base board - Or if it can be wired with a simple hole drilled to open space - That is an easy wire run, it would be done as part of the charge you mention.

It comes down to exactly what your situation is like & how cooperative the tech is.

If you had it prewired by a private company would youy be able to do a self install? If a tech has to foll anyway, there would, most likely be the $99 charge.

Message 10 of 11
Teacher

Dont know where you live at but here in California the landlord has to give there tenants one working jack.  Depending on how far you are from the SAI and how your apt is setup with inside wiring this can be a breeze or take some time. 

Most customer decide on the Customer Self instal thinking that this service is like the old DSL where the signal will travel without any interruptions from jack to jack. Then think that the DSL splitters will help to separate the signal from the phone. I have seen lots of instances where even customer without POTS have issues with there signal, as most apt and homes are daisy chained. This is where one cable feeds multiple jacks this is done to  save money by contractors. Uverse is best on a dedicated pair to the RG location. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel as Uverse can be feed on Coax. Sometimes there is issues with this as some Apt complex have both services on different sides of the Apt. For the most part I have not seen to many ppl get denied service for this. 

I personally like to make contact with the person getting the installation and make sure the signal is making to a jack. The technician has the option of turning the CSI into a FTI with the customers concent.  

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support