For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
scottjef's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 6:49 PM

Network adapter showing "No internet access" even though I have internet access

This is a new machine running Windows 8.1.  On my work network (wired) everything is fine.  When wired to my U-Verse home network (DHCP Mode - same as at work), the notification area has an alert that tells me there is No Internet Access via this network, but internet access works just fine.  I tried switching to the Wireless adapter after unplugging the network cable and the message disappeared.  When I disable the wireless adapter and plug a cable back in, I get the error.

This wouldn't be so bad, but a couple of apps are seeing the error and refusing to run because they don't think they have internet access.  I have tried resetting TCP/IP as well as checking for updated drivers for the network card.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

429 - Thanks for the thought. 2 90-minute sessions with MS support have apparently resolved the issue. In the network adapter settings are 2 checkboxes that have to do with sharing the Internet connection. In my case the top checkbox (Share this network connection) was unchecked. The checkbox below it was checked and greyed out, as it was dependent upon the one above. Checking the top one and then unchecking the bottom as well as the top (all sharing turned off) seems to have done the trick. 

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

It sounds like some sort of IP conflict, next time you see that message, right click on your network status icon:

1.PNG

And then, click on "Troubleshoot Problems"

2.PNG

Last time I had a similar issue on my laptop, that fixed it beautifully.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

2 Attachments

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the response Dmitri.  Running the Troubleshooter results in "No problems detected."  I have tried many proposed solutions over the past couple of days.  A quick look at the Microsoft forums page for Windows 8 shows this problem has been happening to folks for over a year, although I couldn't find any other reports on the AT&T forums.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

aviewer, thank you for your response.  I agree that this appears to be a Microsoft issue, however I do not have the problem when connecting my PC to my work network - just at home on U-Verse (so far).  Also, the problem only occurs when I use the wired ethernet port on the PC.  I do not see the warning when using wi-fi.  Since my wi-fi is handled by a non-AT&T router that nonetheless uses the RG for DNS and DHCP, it appears that something in the RG may be contributing to the problem.

It's very frustrating but I'll keep on looking for a solution.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

scottjef - I do appreciate that there is a mismatch that is resulting in no service (i.e. not one sided). It is like two vendors that meet the specs on a standard, but each weakness hits the same spot & causes failure. How do you get either or both to make it work??
I think what bothered me on the microsoft side is that it appeared they are using some criteria to shut off something that could work. Instead of letting the background process work or not work, based solely on the quality of the connection, they are inserting an extra monitor to determine the quality & when it is found to be questionable it can alert the user. But, it goes too far by making sure it cannot be used. If something is deficient it is great to have a meter to measure the problem. But, it should not be used to block the process.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Some additional data:  I brought the PC to a different house that is also using U-Verse for internet, however the 2nd house uses a Motorola router (no U-Verse TV) that was installed about a year ago.  The first house has the standard (I believe) 2WIRE rig.  House #2 has no problems whatsoever.  So it's only through the 2WIRE and only when using a wired connection that the problem occurs - weird!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@scottjef wrote:

aviewer, thank you for your response.  I agree that this appears to be a Microsoft issue, however I do not have the problem when connecting my PC to my work network - just at home on U-Verse (so far).  Also, the problem only occurs when I use the wired ethernet port on the PC.  I do not see the warning when using wi-fi.  Since my wi-fi is handled by a non-AT&T router that nonetheless uses the RG for DNS and DHCP, it appears that something in the RG may be contributing to the problem.

It's very frustrating but I'll keep on looking for a solution.

I find it rather interesting that you state that your PC works fine using your UVerse internet connection when you connect via wifi, and it has probelms when you connect it to your UVerse via ethernet, so you've conclude dthat it's a UVerse issue.  I would think that if it's a UVserse issue, then you would also have probelms when you use the connection via wifi because your non-AT&T wifi router has to be wired into to your UVerse internet connection just like the hard witred PC is.  If the hard wored connection works fine for the wireless router, and it doesn't for the PC, I would think that it's more likely an issue with the PC hardware or software if you were to ask me.  Add to that the documented, known issues with the WIndows networking, and I think you may have found the problem even though you don't seem to want to accept that...

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Geekboy - no one is assigning blame at this point, relax.  Yes, MS has a history of these problems under certain circumstances, although we do not yet know what those cicumstances are.  To date, my only occurrence of the problem is when I am hardwired to a 2WIRE DHCP/DNS-enabled router from AT&T.  As I mentioned last night, an AT&T Motorola router in a different house does not exhibit the issue.

I am simply trying to solve a problem and, since AT&T equipment is involved, I'm checking with the AT&T community to see if anyone else has experienced it and may have a solution.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I was just applying some simple logic to what you dscribed.  Call it what you like, "asigning blame" or "finding the cause of your problem".  You can't fix the problem if you don't know what's causing it.

You said that you thought the problem was with your UVerse router because when you pluged in a wired connection it didn't work correctly.  I explained that your personal wireless router is using exactly that same configuration and according to yourself it is working properly.  Based on that, the problem is most likely not with your UVerse router and being wire connected to it, otherwiise your own wireless router should have the same problem, shouldn't it since it is using a wired connection to the UVerse router (to get to the internet)?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.