Need help connecting your router?
tankb9663's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, November 11th, 2013 4:07 PM

Need help with public IP addressing issue

Can anyone from AT&T staff change my public IP address? I'm currently assigned an IP from Kansas but I live in Wisconsin. After upgrading my service from 24MB to 45MB, I received a new residental gateway.

When I checked my speed to ensure that I'm getting the correct service and I noticed that the default servers were pointing to Kansas. I have the new NVG589 gateway. The tech tried two different ones. I got the same IP address with both so the IP seems to be connected to the account and not the gateway. 

I had multiple field tech come and check the cabling, router, and verify service. All of the phone tech or chat tech does not know the difference between a public IP and a private IP. They keep insisting that I run the same test over and over again.

Reboot modem

Reboot computer

Run ipconfig on my computer

Ping www.yahoo.com

All of these test does not resolve the problem. It just clearly shows that they do not understand the issue and are running a basic troubleshooting script that is given to them. I need someone that understands routing and public IP address. Does AT&T have real network technician? Can they get in contact with me to resolve this issue?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@tankb9663 wrote:

My public IP address seems to be from a DHCP scope assigned to Kansas area. The next hop route is going to a node in Kansas before it gets to any other service. I've done multiple tracert and it shows that I'm going through 99.175.88.3. If you look up the geolocation for these IP scopes, you can see where it originate from Kansas.

Since I have a public IP address allocated to Kansas, I have poor latency with local servers to things in Wisconsin. This is evident in my speedtest to servers residing in Wisconsin. Does this explain my problem or do you still not see the issue?

AT&T's U-Verse network (formerly known as the Lightspeed network) is an isolated network that has only a few exit points onto their general Internet network.  AT&T's general Internet network aggregates all traffic from U-Verse, DSL, wireless, and business Internet connectivity.  The general Internet network then peers with other providers at several major peering points.

Assuming the geolocation is accurate, then the Kansas City node is apparently the closest node to you where your traffic can cross from the U-Verse network to the general Internet network, regardless of what IP address you have.

Yes, this routing will slightly increase latency compared to a local ISP that might peer with another provider right there in Wisconsin, however it shouldn't add more than 10 msec or so.  This routing has nothing to do with what IP address you're assigned, but is due to the physical layout of AT&T's networks.  Changing your IP address will do nothing to affect the routing.

If you'd like more analysis, a traceroute would be helpful.

Now, on top of that, IP geolocation is notoriously inaccurate.  While the geolocation database you're using may show that the 99.175.88.3 IP address is in Kansas, that may not actually be the case.  In reality, that IP address could easily be in Wisconsin, there's really no way to know.

I just looked up that IP address in several IP geolocation databases -- one or two showed Kansas, some showed Richardson, TX (which is the address of AT&T's IP allocation center, thus any unassigned or recently assigned addresses are tagged there), and some showed Fayetteville, Arkansas.  Just goes to show that we have no idea where this IP address really is.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

OK, so the actual problem is that your latency has gone up from what you used to have.

Well, first, just because the latency doubles between tests to servers you know to be physically located in Kansas and tests to servers you know to be physically in Wisconsin does not at all mean that the traffic to the Wisconsin servers is being routed through Kansas. Without a traceroute, we have absolutely nothing to go on as to where the traffic is being routed or what node might be responsible for a major part of the latency.

Second, when you upgraded from 24 Mbps to 45 Mbps, they probably replaced your single-pair RG (2Wire 3600/3800/3801/3812) with the Motorola NVG589 with pair-bonding. Pair-bonding increases latency in the first place.

The bottom line is that I doubt that there is anything that can be done to reduce the latency you're seeing, although having a tech do a complete line check wouldn't hurt. However, if he determines that the service is working properly and you still feel the latency is too high, you may have no choice but to search for another provider.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@tankb9663 wrote:
All of these test does not resolve the problem. It just clearly shows that they do not understand the issue and are running a basic troubleshooting script that is given to them. I need someone that understands routing and public IP address.

Of course they don't understand the problem, because there is no problem that you've described.

There is no such thing as a "Kansas IP address" or a "Wisconsin IP address" or a "default server".

Please articulate the actual problem or issue that you have.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

My public IP address seems to be from a DHCP scope assigned to Kansas area. The next hop route is going to a node in Kansas before it gets to any other service. I've done multiple tracert and it shows that I'm going through 99.175.88.3. If you look up the geolocation for these IP scopes, you can see where it originate from Kansas.

Since I have a public IP address allocated to Kansas, I have poor latency with local servers to things in Wisconsin. This is evident in my speedtest to servers residing in Wisconsin. Does this explain my problem or do you still not see the issue?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi tankb9663,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 I understand that the geolocation can be inaccurate but the speedtest and latency just proves it is correctly located in another state. While running the test to a local server at my work place, I was receiving around 80ms response time. I did the exact same test to a server in Kansas and got around 40ms. This seems to me that my internet traffic is going out of my house to a node in Kansas, back to Wisconsin to a server at my work then back to Kansas and finally back to me to make the total round trip double in latency.

I’ve had AT&T Uverse for a long time and I use to have an IP address from a Wisconsin pool. I know there is a closer node in Chicago and Milwaukee. It doesn’t make sense that my internet traffic gets back hauled to Kansas. I hope they can give me some sort of explanation or let me know that my test results are fubar.  

This just started happening when I upgrade from 24MB to 45MB. I don’t want to pay for service that isn’t working as expected. It’s like buying a plane ticket from Milwaukee to New York but you have to stop in Denver (or a state west of WI) because it’s a bigger hub than Milwaukee. It just doesn’t make sense and you don’t want to pay for that.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777

Yes you are correct. I had a single pair RJ11 connector to their old RG. I don't remember the model number but the new model is the Motorola NVG589. I am also basing the latency and distance from speedtest.net and from PINGing my VPN server. I don't have a good case for tracert as the path it takes shows layer 3 nodes in it's path but not distance. It does show latency of each nodes and there are some nodes in the path that seems to causing latency to increase. If only the US would invest on it's infrastructure we wouldn't be 9th behind other countries. As of right now I am getting 30MB down on average so the only thing left is to switch provider. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.