Moving TV To Another Location

Tutor

Moving TV To Another Location

Hello,

I'm attempting to move my Uverse TV to opposite wall of the same room. Below is a picture of a small white box the cable is routed through (cover removed). The current wall is going to be removed in a remodel, so I have to move this little box over to the opposite wall where the TV will be.

Can I cut this type of cable where it runs under the house and then splice it back together again once the new location is set?

I don't think I feel confident enough to try and disconnect all these tiny wires from this box and then reconnect them. And I'm not sure you could even do that if you wanted to. Thanks

Message 1 of 8 (1,631 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Moving TV To Another Location

Without having a better picture of the connector/box, I would say that it looks like a simple "punchdown" like you can buy at most home improvement stores nowadays.

You would be better off to cut the cable just before this box and pull the remaining cable through to get to the new location rather than trying to splice.  Adding splices adds potential points for interference/signal degradation.  Having a "clean run" (cable running from source to destination without any cuts/splices/taps) will give you a better signal.  If you are concerned about re-connecting the existing box, you woul dbe better off to buy a new one, than to try to splice the wires and re-use the existing one.  I can't imagine you getting charged more than $10-15 (and that would be price gouging) for a new jack.  I went with a modular setup in my house and I think I paid $4.95 for a wall plate with 4 ports, and maybe $2.95 for each connector when I bought a box of 24 or 25.  Granted, I was wiring a 4 bedroom house, but still, you should be able to get the jack for $10 or less at a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/etc.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (1,584 Views)
Tutor

Thanks. I will be posting more photos shortly.

Message 3 of 8 (1,552 Views)
Tutor

There's about 9 wires coming from this Uverse cable. The oversized phone jack side is coming from my DVR. If I can buy another one of these little boxes, what are the odds a dummy like me will be able to hook it up right with all these tiny wires?!  There are 3 images below. Thanks! Jeff

Message 4 of 8 (1,531 Views)
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by ATTDelia (Employee)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

rain6460 wrote:

There's about 9 wires coming from this Uverse cable. The oversized phone jack side is coming from my DVR. If I can buy another one of these little boxes, what are the odds a dummy like me will be able to hook it up right with all these tiny wires?!  There are 3 images below. Thanks! Jeff

Actually, you can easily buy another one, or just simply re-use the existing one.  It is a standard RJ-45 Ethernet jack, so it should be avaiable at just about any hardware store if you want to buy another one.  You can easily re-use the existing one if you like too.

You can pull the wires out of the existing one with a god tug on the wire and a firm grip on the connector in the other hand.  Before you do that, you should see that each connector is labeled to indicate which color wire to connect to it.  Your cable should have 4 pairs of "tiny wires" in it.  Blue/blue-white, Green/Green-white, Orange/Orange-white, and Brown/Brown-white.  Those are the standard ethernet color codes.  Connecting the wires is real easy.  The installer probably had a special tool for "punching down" the wires into the connector, but I have found the you can generally use a standard home butter knife from your kitchen, or a very fine screw driver if you have one of those.  Just be careful not to "stab" yourself in the hand while doing it.  I suggest setting the connector on a desk or on the floor, then using the knife or srew driver to push the wire down into the slot for it.  There are metal connectors in there that will "cut" through the insulation and dig into the edge of the wire itself making a good solid contact.  It is really as easy as it looks like it ashould be.  I've used that technique for connecting many of those cables at home.  Just find yourself a thin but rigid tool to push the wire into the groove, and you are all set.If your "tool" is thinner than the fine wire diameter, it will be better because that will help assure that the wires are in proper contact with the connectors.

If you can prevent splices in the cable you will have much signal to your TV/PC, and that will improve your picture quality and reduce problems.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (1,516 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I think ATT charges about $180 to come out and do something like this, so I'll be saving a bundle if I can pull it off myself. I feel a bit more confident now that you've explained it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Jeff
Message 6 of 8 (1,492 Views)
Employee

A standard service call is $99, a Dispatch on Demand (special request) $149.
If new cable installed $55 per cable run.
wall fishes are additional charges per wall.

No charges for jacks, wall plates, biscuits, data cables on tech visit.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 8 (1,475 Views)
Tutor

Thank you Thank you!

I successfully moved the jack and rewired the plug as per your instructions. And all went well and everything works fine. I even reused the same jack. I did buy another one ($2.50) that came with a plastic tool for pushing the wires in. And I was going to use the new one, but it didn't quite fit properly into the little baseboard mounting box. I'm so negative about things I've never done before, and all the way up until I plugged it in I was thinking...It'll never work! But it did, and it really was as easy as you said it would be. Sincere thanks for the help, and for saving me a pricey service call. 

Jeff 

Message 8 of 8 (1,394 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.