Need help connecting your router?
HopPirate's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, July 19th, 2013 2:59 PM

Messed up my self-installed wiring, now nothing will come back up

My daughter managed to pull the outlet wires out of the RJ-45 sockets (it's under her desk and her foot got wrapped in the wires and she doesn't sit still when she's on the computer) and we lost all connections. We have U-verse phone and internet. The outlet that got pulled is the green one that the green wire uses to run to the back of the 2Wire box. 

I reconnected the blue and green twisted pairs to the green socket per the "B" wiring scheme, and I have still have a blinking red "Broadband" light on the 2Wire box. I tried another socket further upstream on the same wire that I used as a connector and still got a blinking red light. The box outside on the house has a typical single pair (blue/blue-white) connection with no other lines or connectors. 

I am relatively comforatble doing network wiring, but I am at a loss to fix this. I have an in-house wiring service call scheduled for Sunday (!) afternoon, but I'd love to either solve this before then or determine the problem is somewhere outside the house.

I have a couple of troubleshooting questions:

1. What wires from the Cat5e wire should be connected to the back of the green socket? Is there a different layout for the wire than the typical "B" socket layout?
  2. Should the 2Wire unit work if plugged into the test socket at the outside box (if plugged in, etc.)?
  3. With U-verse phone service I assume the old "plug a phone in it" test at the outside box is not feasible?

Thanks for any help or advice,

John 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Normally the signal enters the house on the blue pair, which is wired as the center pair, or pair 1, of most jacks.  Given this, it really doesn't matter if you wired the jack back as "A" or "B", because the pairs affected by the difference just aren't used here.

Yes, you should be able to connect the RG straight to the test jack in the NID.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, I think I will kludge that solution first (testing it outside).

John

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

That makes sense. I went back to the NID in daylight, and the blue pair is wired through and the green pair is the sync pair (It was really dark last night when I was looking at it last). Hooking the 2Wire up to the test port has the wifi back up and running, so the family is at peace again. I will do the "green to blue" punch on the jack tonight and I bet I'll get things back up and running. 

Thanks again everyone,

JO

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

That worked, and everything's working again. I taped a note on the wire saying "Green = Blue" to remind my future self of how things should go.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.