For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
tpcluster's profile

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

Monday, August 4th, 2014 7:04 PM

Max Turbo versus Power

Stats-2014-08-04-11-43-42.png

I have Max Turbo (internet only)  and speeds seem sufficient, but I see there is something new called "Internet Power."   In reading other posts I get the feeling that "Internet Power" would require a new 2Wire router and that my ability to have it would depend upon my VRAD and the wiring between it and myself.  Currently I have the 3800HGV-B.  I ran UV Runtime 1.9.1.0 - the screen shot is above.  Can you tell from this whether I am a good candidate for "Power."

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

The way these stats read, you're not currently even a good candidate for MaxTurbo, though at your line distance you should be.  To qualify for Max Turbo, you should have a sync rate of 40 Mbps or greater, which you do not.  To qualify for Power, you need two lines with that kind of sync rate.

If your MaxTurbo is working okay, you might want to leave well enough alone, because if they can't bring you up to 40 Mbps max sync, they may want to downgrade you to 25 Mbps sync, which'll mean bye-bye turbo.

OTOH, if you want Power, then you can try to get them to qualify you, assuming your line can be cleaned up, there's power-compatible ports available in your VRAD and your bundle has a free pair.  Do note that you must have a Cat5e home run from your NID to your RG, you can't use coax, or Cat3 wiring for Power.

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

Is "synch rate" the entry labelled in the "Down stream" column of the
"Max rate" line?

I assume "NID" is the 2Wire router ("network interface
device"?). What is "RG"?

- Tom

Tom [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]
Lincoln, CA

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

For 24 Mbps (Turbo) HSI, you need a Profile downstream data rate of 32 Mbps.  To really have a Profile rate of 32 Mbps, your VRAD needs to be able to reliably use enough different frequencies that it could theoretically be able to send 40 Mbps of data downstream.  This value is shown (as you said) in the Downstream column Max Rate, and in your case it is 38.4 Mbps.  The reason the recommended profile is 25 Mbps (in the lower section) is because max rate is not above 40 Mbps.  It's red because you have 32 Mbps intead of the 25 Mps.

The Network Interface Device (NID) is an old telephony term, it's the box on the back of your house.

The RG (Residential Gateway) is the 2WIRE 3800 HGV.

Your distance is listed as 2000', which is estimated by UVrealtime based on attenuation and may not be accurate.  But if accurate, you should be able to get better rates than you have.

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you very much.

What should I do? Put in a trouble ticket to U-Verse citing my UV
Realtime stats and your interpretation? I imagine when the tech is
out here I could question him as to whether the VRAD has "Power"
capability, whether there's an extra pair at the VRAD, and whether I
have an unused pair coming into my house.

Again, I thank you very much for your taking the time to look at my stats.

- Tom Cluster

Tom Cluster
Lincoln, CA
tcluster@pacbell.net

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

If Power is what you want, I'd start off by just trying to order it and seeing what happens.  If they can get you there, they'll take care of your line issues and then you'll be all set.

If they tell you that you don't qualify right off the bat, you can tell them you'd at least like them to clean up the errors with your line.  Unless they're actually service affecting, there's no real reason to mess with it until such time as you do start experiencing issues with your service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.