Need help connecting your router?
TimKatS's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 22nd, 2017 9:36 PM

My lg smart tv could not establish a connection point on 5ghz wifi

Can anyone advise at to why my LG Smart TV connects to my 2.4GHz wifi, but won't connect to my 5GHz?  The modem/router is only about 4 feet from the TV.  I've triple checked the password I'm tying.  Error message on TV says could not establish a connection to access point.  My phones, laptops, and tables all connect to the 5GHz.  Wondering if the TV is limited to only connecting to 2.4GHz???  Wanting to use the 5GHz for TV for the faster speeds.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I guess you didn't search for the right thing (Model 65SJ8500 specs) or you would have found the specifications for your tv.  In those specs for the wifi it shows the following:

65SJ8500 specs.png

So if I am reading this right it does seem to imply it supports 5GHz but for 802.11n only.  So maybe you have to force the gateway to only transmit 5GHz in n level.  Perhaps it's trying to use ac level.  I know that my NVG599 gateway has a 5GHz setting for n and for ac/n so that gateway at least can be "forced" to only use n the 5GHz wifi.

1 Attachment

• 

1 Message

try decrease router power signal or

increase the distance between the tv and the router (

It is in the manual that the distance must be at least 20cm)

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Wondering if the TV is limited to only connecting to 2.4GHz???

Glad you put that in because that's exactly what I was going to ask you.  Does you tv's user manual say anything about it?  What's you tv model number?  Perhaps a google search will give you that info.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Just bought TV about 6 weeks ago from Best Buy; it's an LG - 65" Class
(64.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic
Range. Model is 65SJ8500. As expected, the manual doesn't provide any
useful information. And I haven't located any answers in my Google
searches.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So is it  possible to run your connection at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz I don't think you can do that so if you set your signal at 5 GHz you may get your TV to connect at that speed but your older peripherals such as your computer or tablets or cell phones that use your WiFi signal will not be able to connect. Any TV will stream Direct TV, Netflix whatever you want to watch perfectly fine on the 2.4 GHz WiFi connection.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

None of the suggestions here worked for me but finally I found a solution. Looks like their 5G Wifi implementation is buggy. I split my AT&T wifi into 2G and 5G networks with different names. You can do it by logging into the AT&T config page. Then, the TV was able to connect to the 2G network. It's a shame that LG's wifi is not reliable.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.2K Messages

5 years ago

@rarunach

AT&T RGs support a larger number of channels than many client devices support. This means the router can operate on a channel your device can't see.  The remedy is to use the management console and pin the 5GHz radio to channel 149 for instance.  I prefer this method rather than disabling band steering.  Also be aware the range of 5 GHz is shorter, but a good connection will perform better for streaming video.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

@rarunach - This what got me working, too. I just purchased an LG oled65c8aua. I had to log into my ATT UVerse router (via the IP on the back) and break the 2.4GHz channel and 5GHz into different SSID names then log the TV into the 2.4GHz channel.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! Will give it a shot.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have been having the same issue cable guy came out and put in a new router and ever since my tv won’t connect to internet states no access point . How do I resolve the issue I am trying to connect my lg rv to my phone and it’s not working 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

It will randomly connect to internet when it wants to and same with the app but every time the tv is powered down it does it all over again it’s a hit or miss with getting it to connect

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.