For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
JojoBoyko's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, July 28th, 2013 8:08 PM

Is there any way to connect my desktop to uverse using cable wires instead of ethernet?

I've had Uverse for a couple of years now & always used my laptop through wifi. I have an old computer I'd like to hook up to the uverse so the kids can play on it without my worrying about their downloads crashing my work computer.  I just don't have any money to spend, so I'm trying to work with what I have. From what I can tell, I don't believe the desktop is already set up for wifi (it's an older Dell).  Theoretically, I could buy a USB wifi adapter & call it a day, but I'm avoiding spending any money on this if at all possible.

I do have a cable modem I used to use with Comcast that has both an ethernet connection and a cable coming out of it. The ethernet went to the back of the computer & the cable went to the Comcast incoming signal. I thought I'd just be able to hook up the cable to the Uverse box, but there is no such connection there.  I would just hook up the Uverse ethernet connection to the back of the computer, but the ethernet cord I have is way too short for the distance I need to span, so was hoping for a cable type connection to the uverse.  Is there any way I can do this or am I going to have to purchase either a wifi adapter or a longer ethernet cord?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

JojoBoyko - Do you have U-verse TV service?? If you have an STB that is connected COAX near the computer you can connect the two with your short cat5 cable. Or, if you see a friendly U-verse tech, there may be an extra wireless adapter or length of cat5 on the truck.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

JojoBoyko - The cable modem is not useful for connecting, but it is useful for explaining. It transforms the network side connection from the computer to a signal to ride the cable. The U-verse RG does the same thing for U-verse. It transforms the network side connection from the computer to a signal that rides U-verse. If you used the cable modem with the dell computer, use the same cat5 cable to connect the same network jack on the computer to one of the four network jacks on the U-verse RG.

If you need to buy a cable, depending on length it could cost the same as a USN wireless. monoprice.com for cables.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for such a quick response! I do have the "cable" long enough to make the connection, but it looks to me like both the desktop tower and Uverse boxes only have ethernet connections and not the round cable type. I do have a short ethernet cord, but not one long enough. So I was thinking I could plug the ethernet cord from the tower to the cable modem and then the other cable from the modem to the Uverse box, but it isn't sounding like that's going to work. 😞  Any other creative solutions? 😉

Guru

• 

1K Messages

11 years ago

This may not be helpful since you do not want to spend any money if possible; and you do not specify the distance you need to cover.  But ethernet cables are available at a very low cost from Monoprice--you'll have to find it on Google because I am currently unable to insert a link using my iPad.  A 50 foot cat5e cable would cost about 6 or 7 dollars, plus a small shipping fee.  If this fits your budget, I have found them to be a very reliable and affordable source for various connections.  In fact, I learned of them on this forum originally.  Hope this helps.

docbombay

Guru

• 

1K Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, I failed to notice aviewer's reference to Monoprice before I posted.

docbombay

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

docbombay - No problem. I miss details all the time. Monoprice is worth repeating. Better to say it twice than not at all.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Hi there!  I have Direct TV and AT&T U-Verse.  I have only been using wireless devices and have had no problem so far but my son just built a gaming computer (without wifi) so we now need to connect it to the internet through an ethernet cable.  I happened to have one laying around and we connected it from the jack on the back of his computer to one of the four ethernet jacks on the back of the modem/router AT&T supplied but we have no connection???  What a I doing wrong? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.