Need help connecting your router?
FiveOhFour's profile

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

Tuesday, January 8th, 2013 1:04 AM

Is the STB Ethernet limited to 10 and not 10/100??

New U-Verse customer, and I have a host of issues that I will be needing to seek help and advice within 30 days on and will need to consult somejoe7777 on a few of them, but hopefully this question is easier.  the 2-wire gateway was placed in a terrible place after believing what was either a lie or just a moment of ignorance when I was told the units were dual band wireless N and not the same thing that caused so many people problems, so on that I allowed him to place it an a easier location over the optimal location, there's really only wireless signal in one or two rooms in the house, anyway let me make this one short, for now I have the PS3 upstairs connected to the Internet through the Ethernet jack on the rooms STB (which is  connected with coax because my request to have Ethernet run to all the TV's was denied, so my question is the ethernet port limited to 10Mbps (half duplex I believe) , and the reason I ask is because the speediest on the ps3 always shows as just under 10Mbps down, always in the mid 9's at most, but I have the 18Mbps Internet tier even though I don't get anywhere near 18 unless I'm standing right next to the 2-wire unit, and even then about 14-15 is the best I've ever gotten, with wireless at least, and now that I'm using a MacBook Air I don't really have anything to test via ethernet at the momenhop but Im hoping and assuming that its just the terrible 2-wire units wireless and a full 18 down will be no problem when I have it set up differently, which brings me to mentiis another issue, I'm getting near 50 down (48-49) line speed  and yet it put me on the 25/2 profile and limited my Internet choice to the 18Mbps tier, I am about 1200' away, everyone said it "should" be putting me on the higher profile speed but no one could do anything about it, who do I contact to have the, evaluate it and manually change it, I've got somejoe's uverse monitoring program on and have taken some screenshots but I guess I'll make that another thread/question entirely but we'll see, maybe it his thread can evolve into the more complex areas one the Ethernet port question is answered, I am just curious why the ps3 would only be getting 9Mbps down when it's on a wired connection, i get that speed on my ipad in same room via repeater and when the 2wire itself giving a strong enough signal I get up to 14-15 in this room, so I'm wandering why only 9Mbps down on the ps3 when it's connected ttithe Ethernet on the STB, is it limited to 10 on the STB or is there that much of a loss from the modem to cat5 to coax  to STB to ethernet to cut the speed in half, Surely that isnt the speed being supplied to the box or it would have issues right, or am i not giving 9mbps Enough credit as far as its ability to feed this STB, I guess that could be all bandwidth it's getting since its only feeding one video over hdmi and everything else is being handled by the Main STB that actually has the HDD in it and is connected via Ethernet from the 2-wire and the 2-wire has a ethernet feed from the box on the house. Sorry for the long post, I've got lots to learn and figure out and troubleshoot in about 20 days. I'm 26 and currently disabled but I worked for AT&T Wireless for quite a while years ago and I'm dreading conversations with various CSR assuming they're still as overworked and undertrained as in the past. Thanks in advance to any and all in this community who may have some input for me on this issue....or any of the issues I touched on, since I failed miserably at my initial goal of making this a short and sweet single question to a lengthy post with a host Of issues. 😄 

Thanks y'all

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The LAN ports on the RG's is 10/100, same as the Set top boxes. Your wiring is hosed up, or you have the settings incorrect on what ever device you are slaving off of the STB. Personally it is easier to put in a 5 port switch, if you need more than one or two runs, in case you did not pull enough ethernet for the devices you have at that location.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I thought you were going to keep this post short?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

They never do, and make everything run on. I am beginning to think that anyone posting for the first time on a forum, should pass a test given by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab.

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, I have been a little overwhelmed with the installation and things not turning out quite the way I'd envisioned, I offer both my thanks and apologies for having to read through all the info that while relevant to me is irrelevant to the question and for being able to see and answer directly the min question I was attempting to ask.
Knowing for certain the LAN speeds of the ports on the RG and the STB helped me focus the troubleshooting greatly. I've chalked it up to the ps3's Ethernet port having a history of strange behavior and really only being happy when Auto-Detect is used, if you attempt to manually set the negotiated link speed to say 100 -TX Full Duplex you will often wind up worse than you started off and be connected at 1/10th of what you asked it to, it just has trouble choosing the best speed for some reason and likes to use half -duplex. So as stated, in this case the issue I was facing was completely on my end, where were you commenting that a 5 port switch might be best, from a port on the RG?  thanks for the help.

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

11 years ago

As did I, my apologies, all I can say is things have been building up and apparently I really needed the therapeutic release of putting it all to cyber pen, I've had so many things go wrong or just not right and a issue with playing some Playstation put me over the edge, again I do apologize for the headache the massive wall of text likely caused. As for the suggestion of passing a test given by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab, I decided not to go with my initial reply and simply extend the same apology to you, and to suggest that possibly those posting for the first time on a forum would be better served with any of a number of positive replies, suggestions, or just kindly pointing out the communities preferred way of doing things but I feel quite sure a snarky remark isn't the welcome that's likely to encourage said new members to want to learn the proffered methods of the forum and its members.

In reference to the Playstation I've chalked it up to the ps3's Ethernet port having a history of strange behavior and really only being happy when Auto-Detect is used, if you attempt to manually set the negotiated link speed to say 100 -TX Full Duplex you will often wind up worse than you started off and be connected at 1/10th of what you asked it to, So as stated, in this case the issue I was facing was completely on my end,

Thanks to all for the posts and help, it is appreciated.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

We have never had any problems with our PS3 set for Auto-Negotiation to let it decide if the connection is going to be either 10 or 100 meg. What is the problem when you see what you are getting, is chalked up to a poor wiring job.

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

11 years ago

Precisely, I said it only seems to be happy when auto-detect is used, but when set manually to she same settings, its performance suffers,  as long as auto detect works it's a non issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.