Need help connecting your router?
pmeadows_1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 11:48 PM

I was told when I signed with U-verse I would be able to access my Facebook faster and play the games I play faster, in fact I can't tell any difference it really seems slower and I want to know why?

When I signed up for U-verse I was told I could access mt Facebook faster and play my games faster, in fact it seems slower why is it slower?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

11 years ago

Hi, Peggy Meadows

Just checking up on your post. I was able to locate your U-verse account and I see that you have the 18Mbps internet speed. I took some time to research the quality of the lines that deliver the service into your home and they appear to be in good condition. One conclusion that may be the source of the problem is EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) within your home. Normally, the cause of this is another electronic device out of the 2.4 GHz range sitting too close to your gateway. Some examples of devices that create EMI are computers, monitors, TV's, Ceiling fans, Garage door openers, treadmills, halogen lamps, etc. If you look around your router, do you see anything within 3 feet that could be causing this? If so, try carefully removing it and see if that improves your service.

Also, another thing to try is to reboot the gateway by unplugging the power cord for 10 seconds and plug it back in to see if that improves the service quality.

I hope this helps you! There are more possibilities that could cause slow internet service, but trying this suggestion will give you a good first step in resolving it. If it doesn't work, then I'm sure we will find another solution for you. Thank you! Smiley Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

What internet speed tier did you have before and what tier do you have with U-verse?  Is U-verse speed the same or more?

Here are all of the AT&T choices:

Broadband Service Product Name*Downstream Speed Range
AT&T High Speed Internet Basic
FastAccess DSL Lite
200 Kbps - 768 Kbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Express
FastAccess DSL Ultra
769 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Pro
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Pro
FastAccess DSL Xtreme
1.56 Mbps - 3.0 Mbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Elite
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet
FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0
3.1 Mbps - 6.0 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max6.1 Mbps - 12.0 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus12.1 Mbps - 18.0 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Turbo18.1 Mbps - 24 Mbps

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Also another one that causes the most trouble is cordless phones that operate in the 2.4 Ghz frequency.  I used to have one that was in my home office and caused all kinds of havoc when either talking on it or if it rang.  I replaced all of my cordless phones with the DECT 6.0 units and have never had any problems since.

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Pmeadows_1,

I hope your U-verse internet service is still working well for you. If you encounter any issues with your equipment in the future, feel free to check out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions.

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

For many years we've had unsatisfactory DSL and were anticpating better speed with U-Verse.

Total fail.

What's worse is that nobody at the ATT office knows what's going on.

If it weren't for the fact that I have a friend who's an ATT U-Verse Tec, I wouldn't know that it's basically a fraudulant service.

(Unless they actually have fiber where you live and you get legitimate speeds.)

Very mad.

(And no - it's not my telephones slowing it down.)

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@stangale wrote:

If it weren't for the fact that I have a friend who's an ATT U-Verse Tec, I wouldn't know that it's basically a fraudulant service.

(Unless they actually have fiber where you live and you get legitimate speeds.)

I find it interesting that I have copper to my house and I get 11.9-12.5Mbps download speeds on my 12Mbps UVerse HSI service. Yup fraudulent service because I don't have fiber where I live. Now, back when I had AT&T DSL service, I was paying for 6Mbps (the fastest I could get) and I generally got 4.3-5.3Mbps download speeds. 

I have a be a friend who's a UVerse Tech too. He tells me that some of the techs working there talk a load of bull rather than admit that they dont understand some of the technology. Of course, that happens everywhere, not just at AT&T...

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

I have a be a friend who's a UVerse Tech too. He tells me that some of the techs working there talk a load of bull rather than admit that they dont understand some of the technology. Of course, that happens everywhere, not just at AT&T...

All too true!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

GeekBoy, Do you know if they put in fiber near you so you'd gain your speed advantage? (A few months ago they put in a new box 1 block away - but it's on a different set of lines and won't come to my house!) In the DSL days was always told I was "too far away from the Central Offfice.) It's still the same.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@stangale wrote:

GeekBoy, Do you know if they put in fiber near you so you'd gain your speed advantage? (A few months ago they put in a new box 1 block away - but it's on a different set of lines and won't come to my house!) In the DSL days was always told I was "too far away from the Central Offfice.) It's still the same.

There have been no changes to the AT&T lines in my community since before I signed up for U-Verse about 2.5 years ago.  6 months ago I would always test 11.7-11.85Mbps download when I tested with a "good good server".  I have tested several different times on different days and at different times of the day over the last week and I have not had a test below 12.1Mbps with the same servers I have always had good speeds with.  I am certain that AT&T has not changed the neighborhood wiring, nor have they chaned anything to my house since our community does everything under ground...

I have had someone at AT&T tell me that since they made changes to their end for the 45Mbps service class that those improvements were being back-ported to the lower class speeds so that we would get the benefits.  My line improvements seem to indicate that I am seeing some benefits...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.