I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

Contributor

I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

Message 1 of 26 (3,713 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

What internet tier are you on?  Here is a link to the different packages and the features they support: AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 26 (3,701 Views)
Contributor

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

Thanks. Just started with U-verse.

Message 3 of 26 (3,702 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Netflix will scale the quality of the video to match the bandwidth of your connection.  Sometimes latency, or issues on the connection between Netflix's Content Delivery Network and AT&T can cause buffering.  Try some other streaming service to see if the problem seems to be with Netflix or with your connection in general.

Report back and we'll do our best to guide you further.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 26 (3,705 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Mark Fuchs, I'm sorry you are experiencing an interruption while streaming video on Netflix. BeeBee SA and Jeffer MC brought up some excellent points regarding these video streaming services. The internet speed you chose will make a notable difference when it comes to streaming video. Although you are able to stream video with the lower speeds it is recommended to have 18mbps or higher for best results. I will be glad to research your account and perform some tests to determine if there are any problems with your network or help you get the speed that fits your needs. I have sent you a private message to discuss your account in detail. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 26 (3,704 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the help and education on U-verse. I am hoping to learn more

from reading information in the forum. I had just moved to my new home and

Direct TV offered internet through AT&T. Now I learn that U-verse has a TV

package as well. I am not under contract to Direct TV, so I might just make

the move to a full AT&T package, if the price is right!

Mark (Removed for security reasons)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Community Mailer

Message 6 of 26 (3,704 Views)
Employee

You're welcome markrfuchs! I have sent you a private message with some quotes so you can get an idea of what the pricing is like. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 26 (3,704 Views)
Contributor

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because

I have the same problem. Amazon Prime and Hulu.com work find but Netflix seem to be the problem. Sometimes Netflix freezes but most of the time the audio track will not synch up with the video track.

Jess

Message 8 of 26 (3,106 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because

We have the 12 mb tier and have no netflix streaming issues. No need to have 18 mb for netflix. I think netflix recommends 6 mb or more.
Message 9 of 26 (3,053 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the above poster. No need for 18 mb tier. 12 mb tier works fine.

I've checked my speed with http://www.speedtest.net/. Always runs between 10 and 11 mb and usually hits 11+.

Message 10 of 26 (3,040 Views)
Mentor

My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO. If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.
Message 11 of 26 (2,977 Views)
Contributor

I am having trouble watching Netflix streaming.  I was wondering if there is a fix on this.  It happens when it drops to below 1.5 mbps.  Very frustrating, is there anything that you can do to speed things up?  Help.

Message 12 of 26 (2,710 Views)
Tutor

I am having this same problem during prime time with all sources of streaming video, even though Speedtest.net shows I am getting my full 12 MBPS download speed.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/badly-degraded-video-viewing-during-prime-time/td...

Message 13 of 26 (2,646 Views)
Tutor

it's AT&T

[ Edited ]

I am paying for 18mbps - and rarely get even close to that. Frankly, I have been testing my speed regularly for a few weeks now and keeping a log. The highest I have had is 13517 and the lowest is 1028. A few minutes ago it logged in at 8342. 

I have been through all the "fixes" for this. Your guys have re-set or whatever they do from their end; I have reset numerous times. AT&T simply is not providing the service we are paying for.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 14 of 26 (2,604 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: it's AT&T

Pro Z,

Are you testing your speed wired, or wireless?

Are you testing with more than one server or speed test service?

Are you testing with nothing else significant (e.g. large movie download, onlin backup, P2P filesharing) going on over your network connection at the same time?

Message 15 of 26 (2,594 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.