Need help connecting your router?
jimbo_2's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 1st, 2013 4:46 PM

How much rewiring is normally done during an installation?

My house was built 15 years ago and has twin coax wiring for cable tv and landline for phone.  Would like to know if I can be told in advance what wiring changes, if any, will be made to the house.  I'm concerned about the level of the professional installation, holes drilled into the floor because it's the easiest way for them to install TV, Internet, Phone.  Sorry if I sound picky, but the first AT&T tech that came out drove over the lawn so I'm concerned about how professional they will be and whether or not it's going to be a "quick and dirty" job.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Normally they will try to use existing cabling where it make sense.  This may mean using your existing good-quality RG6 coax for TV distribution from the Residential Gateway (RG, or modem).  It may also mean feeding your RG via coax utilizing a diplexor.  Some installations (like mine) find the RG fed using the house phone wiring, if suitable (Cat 3 in good condition can work).

Most installers seem to be reasonable and will work with you.  However, if you insist that they not use an existing cable that already goes where they need it to, they may charge you for running another.  And, as a rule, they don't fish cable through walls.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

My install went the Jeffer described.  I had coax wired in my home from a previous service provider so the tech replaced all of the connectors on the ends of the coax cables.  And replaced one cable because it was bad, and it was a cable that he ran from the NID to the Residential Gateway.

There have been people who got the Uverse service and wantedd to keep their existing tv service so that they could do a side by side comparison between Uverse and their existing service.  In those cases the tech would run new cabling which could be either coax or Cat5.  But as Jeffer stated there could be a charge for running to cables.  The total amount of cabling needed to be run would depend on how many rooms would have set top boxes and the size of the home being installed.  YRMV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.