Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Gigabit Service Is Great, When It Works

Contributor

Gigabit Service Is Great, When It Works

I had the new gigabit service installed 11 days ago.  First time AT&T customer.  I loved it... for about 3 hours.  Then the service went down.

Since then the service has gone down 6-12 times a day for between 5 minutes and 12 hours.  It has been down on average 4 hours a day every day.

I'm on my 4th Tech (the first one just did the install and it was working when he left) and have had a different "problem/solution" explained to me each time.  None have resolved the problem.

The issue is that I seem to lose my connection to the outside world.  All the lights on the ONT look good but the service light on the modem goes out and I can't talk to anything outside my LAN.

The kicker is that one of the Tech's was here when the service was out and saw something odd on the ONT. (the lights were all on but the ONT was out of service according to his equipment)  That was 9 days ago.  Since then I have had my ONT swapped out, my Modem swapped out (twice) and I've been told that the problem must be something inside my home network because the 30 second light test on my fiber was good while the service was up.

I have 72 hours left to re-sign up with Spectrum/Time Warner Cable.  If this is not resolved by then I will have to drop AT&T and go back to Cable.  I do like the AT&T service a lot better than Cable but it MUST be reliable or I can't use it.

The last Tech said to email him with the results, here is what I sent him:

The new modem was not the answer.  It went down before midnight and stayed down until almost 3am.

I used the time to do a lot of debugging and log searching.

Reseting the modem did not restore service.  Shutting off the wifi and resetting the modem did not restore service.  While the service was down I was able to easily ping every device that was up on my network but I had no internet connection.

I searched the logs for network errors.  I found none on the LAN side. (well I found 4 bad packets during one of the reboots but nothing else)

The only place I saw errors that were constant while the service was down was teh following:

HPNA Information
Type
Value
Firmware Version
D-UCv1-9-4-27111005-ATT.bin
Firmware Signature
FA52DC3058a8C139E8fbD93501f19396
HPNA Physical Link
DOWN
Network Mode
SYNCHRONOUS

HPNA Node List
NodeID
MTU
Mac Address
e0:22:03:c1:e5:c4

HPNA Station Information
Station ID
Interface
Local (Coax)
Mac Address
e0:22:03:c1:e5:c4
HPNA Firmware (C=coax, T=TP)
C
HPNA Version
CG3210H 1.9.4
Master
Interval from 02:21 to 02:36

Interval from 02:21 to 02:36
Station ID
Short Tx Pkt
Short Rx Pkt
CRC Errors Rx
Dropped Tx
Dropped Rx
Tx Error %
Rx Error %
Frames Tx
Frames Rx
Bytes Tx
Bytes Rx
Unicast Tx
Unicast Rx
Multicast Tx
Multicast Rx
Local Ctrl Requests
Local Ctrl Replies
Remote Ctrl Requests
Remote Ctrl Replies
Interval from 02:05 to 02:21

Interval from 02:05 to 02:21
Station ID
Short Tx Pkt
Short Rx Pkt
CRC Errors Rx
Dropped Tx
Dropped Rx
Tx Error %
Rx Error %
Frames Tx
Frames Rx
Bytes Tx
Bytes Rx
Unicast Tx
Unicast Rx
Multicast Tx
Multicast Rx
Local Ctrl Requests
Local Ctrl Replies
Remote Ctrl Requests
Remote Ctrl Replies

I saw similar stats prior to the other reboots as well. Always on Transmit and as high as 50% at times.

The errors in the system log were all “No response from DNS server” and "OpenSSL error:14094418Smiley FrustratedSL routinesSmiley FrustratedSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca”, hundreds of them, both of which appear to be due to no connection to the internet.

The Broadband connection status was consistently “Internet:  Connecting” and “Broadband Link:  Connected”

Everything I saw indicated that I was not having any issues inside the house but I was unable to establish a two way connection to ATT.

Here are some other logs I grabbed during one of the reboots.  Note: I did not see a way to dump the logs to a file and can only grab what shows up on the screen when I select the logs via the web interface so there are gaps in the logs.

While Rebooting: <cut because post was too long>
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Gigabit Service Is Great, When It Works

I'd suggest you send a Private Message to @ATTU-verseCare with your account number, contact information and a link to your post.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3

Re: Gigabit Service Is Great, When It Works

I get the same issue here. I don't have the phone line, a coax, a bridge or want any of that but I'm seeing a lot of traffic - which I find strange and a bit disturbing 

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support