For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
DropMeALine's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 12:28 PM

Does AT&T discriminate against low income customers?

I have AT&T telephone lines on the poles located ON MY PROPERTY that deliver internet service to my next door neighbor & yet they won't drop the line down from the pole on my property to give me the low income Access Internet Service.  They tell me service isn’t available at my address which makes no sense since the service wire goes through the middle of my property to provide internet service for my neighbor. I guess they figure it's not worth the expense to drop a line from the pole for me since I only need internet service & will be paying the low income rate?

I've contacted many departments of AT&T a dozen times over the last several months.  They tell me they're sending someone out but no one comes out.  They’ve repeatedly promised that they will check it out & call me back the next day & they never call back.

Since AT&T has a monopoly on telephone & home internet service in San Diego County they should have to service ALL customers when service is requested, especially when the lines ARE on the pole at the location & they just need to drop the line to the ground.

Another question I have since they refuse to let me talk with the people who physically bring the line from the pole to the house is; Can the line be dropped down from ANY telephone pole or just poles that have the black junction box/tube on it? 

20161220_125155[2].jpg

The pole located on my property with the black tube as shown in the pic is about 300 feet from my home but there is a telephone pole without a black tube just a few feet from my home.  It's just a telephone wire so I don't see why it's such a big deal to drop the line from any pole? Even if they can only drop the line from the junction pole and I have to run my own telephone wire 300 feet to my home, I don’t care.  Just drop the line to where I can reach it.  PLEASE!

AT&T has about half a dozen telephone poles physically on my land & yet I can’t get service. That’s simply wrong.

I guess since they insist they can’t provide service for my address, it won’t make any difference to them if I use the poles for firewood. lol  At least then they will be serving some purpose.

1 Attachment

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hello @DropMeALine,

AT&T does not discriminate. What service does you neighbors have? If they have U-verse then it could just be a system error, if its a DSL only area then the issue is that we do not sell it anymore because we are actively trying to phase it out. If it's DSL and your neighbor disconnects for any reason, then they will no longer qualify as well and wont be able to get it.

Also I would think twice before damaging any poles. In most instances we do not own the poles, they are usually the property of the local utility company. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Ya, I would wonder if the line broke if they would fix.. since it really isnt there.😜

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, my neighbors have U-Verse internet & that has been confirmed by an AT&T employee.

The max speed available in this area is 1.5 GB which is fine with me.  I'll take whatever I can get. 

Just give me something, PLEASE!

I'm not going to burn the poles.  That was sarcastic humor to get your attention because I've been trying to get internet here for 4 months now which is extremely frustrating because I depend on internet for everything since I am disabled & rarely go out.

I would like to know if a line can be dropped from ANY telephone pole or just the poles with junction boxes since it's a difference of about 300 feet?  Is my assumption correct that those black, plastic tubes shown in my pic are junction boxes? 

If it can only be dropped from a junction box, can't AT&T add a junction box to the existing telephone line a couple poles down from the one that's currently there?

I noticed that you're from ATTDSLCare so you may not be able to help me get U-Verse Internet.  Is there anything you can do to get someone out here to drop the line for me & actually talk to me when they are here?  I really need to talk with the people who come out & physically drop the line down from the pole (engineering?) but apparently they have no phone # that I can call directly.  I have a neighbor who lives in a separate unit from his landlord who also wants his own internet service since he can't get a good wireless signal from them.  So you could have 2 new accounts if you'll just come out here.  I may even be able to get you more customers that are on the same line but have been told you don't have service here like I was incorrectly told.  

The ATT U-Verse Internet service IS running in this neighborhood via poles on my property.  That's a fact I can prove even over the phone by giving you the ATT account # of my neighbor (again).  I can even send you an aerial photo of the properties showing the location of the telephone poles & lines in question if that will help. 

It's your job to climb the pole & bring the line down to ground level so that I can plug into it. 

What else can I do to make that happen?  Do I need to climb the pole for you too?  If that's the only way I'm going to get service then I might as well start my own phone/internet company & service all the people in this area that you neglect.  heh heh

Yes, I'm being sarcastic again out of frustration that I don't have another phone company to choose from and I've had to beg you for over 4 months now, spending so many hours on the phone being passed from one department to the next, just trying to get your pathetic 1.5 GB speed because that's the best you can do here even when you do finally provide service.  What's also maddening is that I'm not one person who just slipped through the cracks or is an unusual system error.  I discovered by reading this forum how soooo many other people have the same experience with you. I’m also a previous AT&T customer with an excellent payment record over about 2 decades when it was SBC Global and I’m still using the email accounts from that previous service at other locations. Not a good way to treat such a longstanding, reliable customer.

I started out very nice, polite & patient 4 months ago but about the 6th time or so around the same pointless track it became so ridiculous & frustrating.  It just makes no sense to me that you say a simple & basic landline telephone isn't even an option here so the obvious question is, then what are all the telephone lines on my property for????

I'm in a rural area but not at all in the middle of nowhere.  I can hear my neighbors talking at a normal level, can see hundreds of houses from my place & can drive to hundreds of thousands in 15 minutes.

I don't live in "Green Acres, Hooterville" but apparently if I want phone or internet service I have to climb a pole & connect my equipment up there to use it.

New Picture (4).png

OK, I’m all done venting now. Just please send a pole climber to “DropMeALine” & preferably an experienced & well equipped one that knows how to get the job done no matter what it takes. 

Not one from Hooterville. lol

New Picture (5).png

Thank You in advance for taking action on my behalf & ensuring I don’t have to suffer without internet any longer.

Internet is even more a necessity of life these days than a telephone because you can even make phone calls using the internet. It should be available at a reasonable price to EVERYONE. 

Especially to someone with so many phone poles on their property carrying the service to others.

2 Attachments

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

Actually, the way ATT determines service is a little more complicated than just if a wire is available.

Their local controller boxes come equiped with a fixed number of ports, meaning, only so many customers can be physically connected.

For whatever reason, ATT has chosen to freeze the capacity of u-verse service, to its presant level.

That basically means, no new service for customers until/unless someone cancels, and frees up a port.

That also means, even if they could, they can not (will not) expand the capacity of the equipment cabinet, even if they easily could.

Also, they will not expand any new service, even if it is just a drop line for a short distance.

The only NEW installs ATT is doing, is on their gigpower service. And, unless you live in an area very densly populated, it is unlikly they will come to you.

There is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.. ATT is planning to start implimenting wireless service for areas they are moving away from wired service.

I could speculate more, but want to keep this simple.

I will wish you luck, you might get your hookup eventually.

Just don't hold your breath while waiting.

But seriously, i do hope you prevail.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.