For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
GSDMom's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 8:48 AM

Data cap?

I just signed up for service the other day, awaiting installation next week. I was looking over some things and just discovered the unreasonably low data limit on home service. Am I reading this wrong or are we seriously capped 250 gb? I ordered the Uverse power plan. We stream hulu and netflix on three different roku boxes, download movies, play games, kids school work, Facebook, you tube, etc. No way we can stay under 250 with 5 people using service! I was excited for the new service but unless I'm misunderstanding I'm going to have to cancel the install. Any info or experiences relevant would be appreciated. Thank you.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

You may want to look at the other guys they not only have the same cap implemented but will turn your service off if you are a repeat offender after recieving a warning so this is not AT&T specific which was already stated that currently its not inforced like the competition.

Seriously 250GB a month is a lot of data I might be wrong but you would have to download a 1080p movie every single day to approach that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I had service through a certain cable provider with the worst customer service I could even imagine. But even with my daughters falling asleep with hulu streaming every night I never heard anything about a data cap. I've been wanting to try Uverse for years, since we let them build a box behind our back fence. Surely that would allow for great service with that so close? Plus there is nearly always an Att guy back there working on something, pretty convenient. I just got nervous signing a contract and worrying I'd have to stop the kids from watching shows or what not over data caps. Thanks for replies.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Examples of 250 GB Monthly Transfers

It can be difficult to put a gigabyte -- let alone 250 gigabytes -- into actual usage context. Here are some examples of how different ISPs describe 250 GB of data usage:

• Send 50 million plain text e-mails (at 5KB/e-mail)
  • Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
  • Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
  • Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo) 
  • Download 50,000 songs
  • Download 570 (1 hour) TV shows
  • Download 285 standard-definition movies
  • Download 25 high-definition movies. 
  • Download one high-definition movie (approx 8 GB) every day for 30 days

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

My husband says it should be fine. I've just been reading horror stories about data caps and overages from streaming all your tv. I guess I could always add TV services if it became an issue. Then I'd download less shows and stream less. Thank you. I was pretty stressed about it last night. Being without phone and internet for 1.5 weeks can cause stress.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

The cap is not really implemented right now, but if it ever is and you read the fine print I believe it says they charge for additional gigabyte and with maximum charge of 20 or 30 dollars, so even if they ever implemented it, it would not keep charging you over and over. They seem to have capped the maximum overage charge if it was to be implemented.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is the cap being enforced right now? I just changed my plan and realized this is a new stipulation on my account (uverse, 250GB). The instructions for viewing my past usage are not accurate, or this feature is just hidden from my account. Would really like to know how much data I've used in past months to know whether or not this will be an issue...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

No U-verse HSI customer has ever reported being able to see the usage meter since the cap was first announced (and many, many have reported that it isn't available).  AT&T has repeatedly said that we don't have to worry about the cap until the usage meter starts working.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I asked them the same thing.  For 2 months I was able to see my monthly usage.  The last month it was available, we had used 133 gb (we don't have cable, so most of our TV viewing is streaming).  How convenient that as soon as I get close, the monitoring goes away!

150 gb may seem like a lot, but when you stream a good chunk of your TV, combined with 4 tablets in the house, it adds up fast

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Soxfan63 wrote:

I asked them the same thing.  For 2 months I was able to see my monthly usage.  The last month it was available, we had used 133 gb (we don't have cable, so most of our TV viewing is streaming).  How convenient that as soon as I get close, the monitoring goes away!

150 gb may seem like a lot, but when you stream a good chunk of your TV, combined with 4 tablets in the house, it adds up fast

Soxfan, if you are a DSL customer, then I'd direct you to the appropriate forum to discuss the issues with the DSL meter.  If you're a U-verse HSI customer, there is no working meter, but you also don't need one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.