Need help connecting your router?
sjkruep's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 30th, 2017 3:12 PM

DSL Wiring

The AT&T website says service is available at my address (a condo) but there are no Ethernet jacks inside. Does the $99 Professional Installation charge include the installation of jacks inside the condo?

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

7 years ago

You don't need an ethernet jack for DSL or Uverse for that matter, just an ordinary Tel connecting jack, where a regular Tel Line cable can be plugged in, then to the LINE in of the modem. I ran my own many yrs. ago, back in June 99, from the protector on the side of the garage, in across the trusses in the garage, over to and through the wall separating the garage and family room. I didn't bother to attach the connecting jack to the wall TELCO style, but just let it sit on the carpet, behind my entertainment unit, like an extension cord. Worked for me. That was back for my very first internet device, a "WebTV," now up to a MacMini, out there, on my Chromebook, back HERE, in the bedroom 🙂

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@sjkruep

What @shkarst wrote is not wrong but not not the best. It really depends on the age of your condo and the quality of the telco wiring to the AT&T pedestal outside your building. My condo was built in 2006 and the builder ran Cat5 cable from the pedestal to the condo wiring box.

Having regular telco 2-pair cable from your condo to the pedestal would probably work but may limit the highest speed you could attain.

Right now I would leave it up to the AT&T installer whose test equipment should be able to provide more technical information about the quality of the connection. Realize that they will install the AT&T equipment where ever the telco enters your condo.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

7 years ago

Our home was built in 1976 and was pre-wired, and I ran regular I.W. into that room. Back in Jan when we upgraded from DSL to Uverse Internet, and voice, the tech (2 different ones, one made the initial install, a second a few days later to upgrade our speed), both said that ideally, they could run Cat5 (Cat6 is out there now), but that our Cat3 would work just fine, and it does, perfectly. I was told beforehand ordering, that the most I can get at our location is 18Mbps, and I am getting near 23, and I am as happy as a bug in a rug 🙂 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@shkarst

In a home situation your telco cable is all by itself from your home to the pedestal. In an apartment or condo situation there can be multiple telco cables running the same path from the pedestal to individual condos making crosstalk a greater possibility. So each situation is different.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.