For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
Nbrans08's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, June 8th, 2014 1:08 AM

Can't connect to uverse wifi on my Vista Laptop

I am not able to connect to the internet on my uverse wireless network. This problem only exists on my Laptop running Vista. We had ATT internet prior to Uverse and I had no problem connecting. I can find the wireless network and connect, but the Access is local only, and it seems that it's having trouble Identifying the network. I am not able to browse, and the problem has existed since day one with Uverse. No one from Tech Support has been able to help, and said it's a problem with my laptop, but I can connect to other wireless networks with no problem. Please help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same problem. I used DSL and my vista laptop worked well. Converted to U-verse then I could not ping to 192.168.1.254 (of course could not access internet).

Tried to change the security setting, but got the same error message metioned in #7 comment.

Updated the wifi adapter to year 2010 version (old one is in 2007), could access internet.  

The solution is to update the driver of your wifi adapter on your computer.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

HI @Nbrans08,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your wireless connection. One thing worth trying is changing the security type. By default, our security used for wireless encryption is WPA/WPA2. Changing to WEP may help remedy the issue. The way you do it differs based on what U-verse router you have but the general way to change it is:

1. With a computer directly connected to your U-verse router, go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Go to your wireless settings
  3. Change it to WEP-Open
  4. You may need to change your wireless password to work with WEP
  5. Save your changes

Hope this helps. If you are having any issues, let us know what type of U-verse router you have, and I can provide more detailed steps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hi David, thanks for responding. I have been advised to change the security settings the way you described, however whenever I access the router page and go into the wireless settings it asks for the system device access code. I've tried entering the code from the side of the router and it always says it's incorrect. I know I'm entering the correct code, so I don't know how I can change the security settings because I can't get past that page. It seems like the code had been reset or changed at some point, but even when I choose "forgot code" and enter the default one from the router it still say it's incorrect. Any ideas? The router is a NVG589.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Nbrans08 ,

The device access code should hopefully be on a sticker on your router. It is completely different from the wireless network key. It may be labeled as system password.
Hopefully, that password works after you reset the router, but if not, let me know, and I can help with getting that fixed.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I know for a fact I'm using the correct code. I've had someone that works for att show me where it is, and I just tried resetting the router and trying the password again but it still says its incorrect. I've reset the router numerous times and through att chat support they've reset it from that end. It just seems that the device access code on the sticker is wrong.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

I apologize for that issue. We will send you a private message to get that router replaced, so we can get this issue resolved.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the sane issue. tried changing it to wep but I keep getting an error message sayinn and n/b/g mode only support WPA2 and WPA/WPA2.what should I do next?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Errors n and n/b/g mode only support WPA2 and WPA/WPA2.

I got the message above when I tried to change my security settings to WEP-Open

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

also tried to update my adapter and it says it is up to date.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Princesa01,

I apologize for missing a step. When changing the security to WEP-Open, you have to change the Mode to B/G.

WEP-Open in our gateway does not support the B/G/N option because it does not support wireless N.

Hope this helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.