For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
GatewayQs's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014 12:06 AM

Can I plug the Uverse gateway into an Ethernet switch ?

I just want to use the gateway as a DSL modem. I'll then just plug my own wired devices and WiFi routers into this switch. Is that possible with their offerings like those Max Plus ?
Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@GatewayQs@  wrote:
I just want to use the gateway as a DSL modem. I'll then just plug my own wired devices and WiFi routers into this switch. Is that possible with their offerings like those Max Plus ?
Thanks.

Although there's definitely a little more to it, yes, that can be done.

Normally what you would do is plug your router into the gateway (which must be set to passthrough or DMZ for your router) then you plug everything else into your router. If your router does not have enough LAN ports, then add the switch there, not to the gateway.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

My Ethernet switch has many ports. I can plug the Uverse gateway into the switch and then plug my Apple Extreme into that switch too. Would that work ?
I also have D-Link Powerline adapter - the master can also plug into this Ethernet switch.

I've a few WiFi routers in the house, one of them have QoS capability.
I would like all of them operate in AP mode, not in Bridge mode.

Would that work ?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Can I disable all WiFI features in the Uverse gateway ?

I just want to use it as a DSL modem.
I need to use my own WiFi routers (in AP mode) and Powerline adapters and Ethernet switches.

Btw, if I subscribe to Max Plus, what sort of gateway equipment would I get ?
I guess that I can read the equipment docs also....

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you can disable all the WiFi in the U-verse Residential Gateway (RG)

Yes, you can connect devices through a switch, including your WiFi Access Points and routers.  However, do not connect a TV Reciever to a switch that is also connected to any WiFi Access Point or Router.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Do u have pointers on how to disable WiFi in the RG ? I plan to subscribe to Max Plus. Don't know what they'll give me ...

By TV Receiver, do u mean an Apple TV or some gadget from AT&T ?
I just plan to get Max Plus as we don't watch much TV ...

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

If you're not ordering U-verse IPTV, then you won't have any TV receivers of the kind I meant.

You can turn off the WiFi on the RG by going to http://192.168.1.254/ and navigating to the page that controls it.  You will have to log in using the System password on the side of the RG.  I can't be any more specific than that, because I don't know which RG you'll be getting.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@GatewayQs@  wrote:
My Ethernet switch has many ports. I can plug the Uverse gateway into the switch and then plug my Apple Extreme into that switch too. Would that work ?
I also have D-Link Powerline adapter - the master can also plug into this Ethernet switch.

I've a few WiFi routers in the house, one of them have QoS capability.
I would like all of them operate in AP mode, not in Bridge mode.

Would that work ?

No. If your Apple Extreme is acting as your main router (DHCP server, QOS, parental controls, port rules, etc.) then it needs to be the only thing connected to the gateway.

The WAN port on the Apple Extreme goes to a LAN port on the gateway, and as I mentioned before, everything else has to be connected to the LAN ports on the Apple Extreme. If you put the switch between the gateway and the Apple Extreme, you can not plug anything else into the switch because the gateway's DHCP server will start conflicting with the Apple Extreme's DHCP server.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.