Need help connecting your router?
Cendoya46's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, November 30th, 2018 10:06 PM

Broadband port - relocate for remodeling

I have a need to move the current broadband port to another place in the house.  I opened the box up and noticed that it's only using 4 wires from a cat 5e cable and connected to a box that has a small electrical board with 2 rj11 connections (phone and broadband).  Is the at&t specific junction box required or can I simply wire the cable directly into an existing network outlet using a punch down rj11 connector?  I do not need the phone portion of the connection.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

If you're talking about the feed coming into your house that isn't a network cable, it's coming from the NID and has to terminate there to get the service to the modem.  Just what did you open?  If you opened the modem to expose the jack here's hoping nothing was damaged.  If you're talking about a jack I'm not sure what circuit boards you're talking about.  Can you post a photo of what it is you're looking at?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Are you referring to the att branded box that the gateway connects to with the green data cable? If yes, you’ll need to schedule a tech visit to move the att branded box and gateway. You may get charged to move it. We did the same thing during a remodel and did not get charged for the visit. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

30134.jpeg

It is the ATT branded box.  It's just a cat5 cable coming in from outside.  Inside the box, the cat5 is connected to wires on a circuit board. They have 4 of the 8 wires connected to the broadband side and nothing connected to the phone side.  I assume the circuit board is for the phone side, but I don't know.

I have no issues running cable, but just need to know if that att jack is necessary. 

Thanks for the replies.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

The "phone side" is just to filter the data of DSL service, so if you're not putting a phone on it, than no you don't need that particular jack. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

So, can I take the cat5 and put a rj11 connector directly on it using the same 4 wires?  Basically, avoiding the at&t jack all together?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.