Need help connecting your router?
Ponchymimi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2019 4:44 PM

Closed

Attempting to self install a direct cat5 for Uverse Internet only

Hi! I am trying to self install a direct cat5 line from NID to Uverse modem nvg599. When powered up, power light is steady green, WIFI light is steady green, BROADBAND 1 & 2 red blinking, and NO SERVICE light, nor is any other light on.  This install is for Internet 10 Stand Alone Plan. I do not have active phone line in house, except for cells.  My TV is OTA.  

As I said, I have been trying to install a CAT5 direct line from the NID to a wall outlet with a 8-wire modular Jack. I THINK I have tried EVERY wire connection, between the blue pair, orange pair and green pair.  BUT none of them have worked.  

HELP....PLEASE?? My head hurts trying to figure this out!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

You said you're using an 8pin cord, you just want a standard phone cord from the wall to the broadband input of the modem, it should be labeled.  If you're plugging into an 8pin port that's not the correct port for the incoming signal.  The wall jack should be a standard RJ11/14 4 or 6 pin, 4 is standard.  First to make sure you have a good incoming signal plug the modem directly into the NID to see if it will sync up.  You're going to have to get some power out there, but no reason to beat your head against the wall guessing the incoming signal is good. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!! That was the first way I had it hooked up! To
make sure...after opening the NID, I opened the clear white block where the
wires connect to and installed the wire on the far right connection and
closed the door. I followed the color code on the plugged, punching down
the blue wire. Plugged everything in, which resulted in NO SERVICE light.

I will try all that once more if correct and if same outcome (which I'm
guessing will be) I'll schedule a tech. Where should I go to schedule
apptmnt?

Thanks!

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

Wanted to add if there is an existing cable from the NID to the location you want, just use it, you don't need to replace it with CAT5. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

I had a landline when my service was first installed. I no longer have the landline. I want to replace the wiring going to the NID outside. Can I simply run ethernet cat cable from the onboard ONT on the modem gateway to the NID outside? Is there a place to simply plug it in once i open the NID outside? Or would rewiring need to be done?. I want to phase out the small telephone jacks in my home, or keep just a couple of them but they will be non functioning. The wiring going to my DSL modem from the NID currently is old and I don't know if there is any advantage to replacing it. It seems like modern wiring (Cat. 6 or even Cat. 7) makes sense. I can't get FIBER where I live yet. I'd measure the run so a completely unspliceed wire (rated for outdoor use) would be snaked out to the NID. Any advice is appreciated. 

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

This is a two year old topic anything higher than CAT5 is over kill.  If you don't have fiber you don't have an ONT, you may have an ONT port on your modem but that's for the incoming feed not out going.  Open your own topic and explain exactly what it is you're trying to do.  You don't need to replace the wiring from the NID to the jacks, you may need to wire from the modem to jacks if you want to use the Ethernet ports instead of WIFI.  Closing this topic to posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.