Need help connecting your router?
levequejosh's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 1:15 AM

2Wire Gateway 3600GHV modem - problems with Wireless connections

I just signed up for UVerse internet, and received the subject modem.  The internet itself works fine, though I'm having trouble configuring the wireless connections.  My computer in which the modem is connected to has Windows XP, and I tried the "Wireless Internet Setup Wizard" under "My Network Places", but it doesn't seem to recognize the wireless connection.  The directions in the manual don't seem to match Windows XP.  The wireless green button on the modem is not turned on, and our smartphones are not picking up the wireless signal.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated...thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Turned out to be a faulty 2Wire Adapter.  I received a new one today, and all of the wireless devices work fine!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@levequejosh wrote:

I just signed up for UVerse internet, and received the subject modem.  The internet itself works fine, though I'm having trouble configuring the wireless connections.  My computer in which the modem is connected to has Windows XP, and I tried the "Wireless Internet Setup Wizard" under "My Network Places", but it doesn't seem to recognize the wireless connection.  The directions in the manual don't seem to match Windows XP.  The wireless green button on the modem is not turned on, and our smartphones are not picking up the wireless signal.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated...thanks!

If you are connected to the Modem/Residential Gateway, also referred to as the RG, with an Ethernet cable, you can not connect to it with a wireless adapter on the same computer.

You will want to access the wireless configuration page, it should look like this:

Make sure the Wireless Interface is Enabled. Also, take note of the Network Name (SSID). That is the name of the network you should be looking  for on your wireless devices, when you are trying to connnect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

We're making progress I think.  So the desktop computer that my wireless gateway is connected to via ethernet...I don't worry about configuring anything on there, just the other wireless devices, correct?  I did go to the wireless configuration page, and it looks good.

Still having problems with the other wireless devices though.  I added the wireless network to our laptop (transferred it via flash drive), but it still will not connect.  The security settings appear to match.  I also got the wireless working on my Android phone for about 1 minute, but then it disconnected...and is now listed as "not in range".

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@levequejosh wrote:

We're making progress I think.  So the desktop computer that my wireless gateway is connected to via ethernet...I don't worry about configuring anything on there, just the other wireless devices, correct?  I did go to the wireless configuration page, and it looks good.

Still having problems with the other wireless devices though.  I added the wireless network to our laptop (transferred it via flash drive), but it still will not connect.  The security settings appear to match.  I also got the wireless working on my Android phone for about 1 minute, but then it disconnected...and is now listed as "not in range".

When you look for networks to connect to how many different networks show up on the list?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Another 2 wire network generally appears (maybe a neighbors?).  Otherwise just the old networks we used in the past.  They are out of range though.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@levequejosh wrote:

Another 2 wire network generally appears (maybe a neighbors?).  Otherwise just the old networks we used in the past.  They are out of range though.

I would suggest deleting any old network entries that you no longer use. Also on the computer that is connected with an ethernet cable make sure the wireless adpapter is disabled.

When you say you "added the wireless network to your laptop... via flash drive", where did you get the configuration that was on the flash drive?

What are all your wireless devices (computers, tablets, smartphones, etc)?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I'll try deleting the old network entries.  On my desktop with the ethernet cable, I don't think the wireless adapter was ever connected, since it doesn't show up as one of the network connections.

On Windows XP (my desktop), the wireless network setup wizard allows you to add more devices via a flash drive.  It transfers the info to your flash drive, and then the drive can be plugged into other devices.

The wifi devices I'm trying to set up are one laptop (Windows 7), 1 androld smartphone, and one iPhone.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@levequejosh wrote:

I'll try deleting the old network entries.  On my desktop with the ethernet cable, I don't think the wireless adapter was ever connected, since it doesn't show up as one of the network connections.

On Windows XP (my desktop), the wireless network setup wizard allows you to add more devices via a flash drive.  It transfers the info to your flash drive, and then the drive can be plugged into other devices.

The wifi devices I'm trying to set up are one laptop (Windows 7), 1 androld smartphone, and one iPhone.

Ok, so there is one desktop with XP connected to the RG with an ethernet cable, one laptop with Win 7 on wireless, and two smartphones.

When you go to the "Network Connections" folder all you see is an entry for "Local Area Connection"? If you do see an entry for "Wireless Network Connection", right click on it and pick "Disable".

You should not be running the "Wireless Network Setup" wizard on the desktop becuase: 1) You should not have a wireless adapter enabled on the desktop.  2) You already have a wireless network created by the RG.

The wizard you used is for when there is no RG (router) available to connect to and it creates an ad-hoc network and other devices can connect to it, and the info on the flash drive is for other computers to connect to the desktop.

On the XP desktop, unplug the ethernet cable, go to the Device Manager, look for network adapters. If there is an entry for a wireless adapter right click on it and choose "Uninstall". Right click on the wired adapter and choose "Uninstall". Now click on the little icon on the Device Manager toolbar that looks like a computer with a magnafying glass to "Scan for Hardware Changes". You network adapter(s) should reappear. If there is a wireless adapter right click on it and choose "Disable" This should clear out any erroneous network configurations. Now plug your ethernet cable back in and reboot the desktop.

On the Win 7 laptop, if you look on the task bar, over by the clock, you should see some small icons. One of those should be for the wireless and might look similar to the first couple of icons in the example below:

Click on the icon and a list of available networks should pop up. Your network should look like "2WIRE???" where the question marks will be the last three digits of the RG's serial number (verify to be sure). Click on your network and select connect. It should ask you for the passcode (the default network key is listed on the same sticker as the serial number) enter it and click connect and you should be good to go.

If you have made any modifications to the RG's configuration, like changing the security level or or the wireless key or SSID (network name) you will have to modify the appropriate steps in the previous instructions and/or manually adjust the network connection on the laptop.

As far as the smartphones, you might want to check over on the wireless side of the forum for instructions for your particular make and model phones. http://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Wireless-Community/ct-p/attwireless

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Still no luck with the Laptop unfortunately. 

I did try the android phone once again, first changing the online security settings to WEP-Open, and then added the network to the phone with the same security settings....and the WiFi turned on for about 1 minute, though it was a poor connection.  It turned right back off though.

Could it be a faulty 2-Wire adapter?  Either way, I think I'll give technical support a call.

Thanks for all of the help!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have been fighting their technical support for two days with the same issues.  My 3600GHV modem will not connect to any device either.  They have not as of yet agreed to send me a new one.  I cannot even run my DISH Hopper as it needs to connect to a modem to record programs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.