Need help with your equipment?
chuck6961's profile

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

Thursday, September 18th, 2014 4:09 PM

speed test

i have the 24 meg package but everytiime i run a speed test the fastest i get is 17 megs? what gives ?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@chuck6961 Are those speeds wireless or wired? If wireless, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

1. Are you testing wirelessly or on a machine connected directly via cable?
  2. Is anything else going on in terms of Internet usage while doing these tests?  The speed test measures what is available to the test when it is running.
  3. Have you tried multiple tests or servers?  Sometimes a server can be overloaded, have issues or have network congestion near it.  The speed test measures the entire path between the test server and your PC... the "narrowest" point in that path determines what result you get.  I recommend SpeedTest.Net and manually changing the server at least once.  http://Att.com/SpeedTest is remarkably reliable.
  4. Do you have U-verse TV?  Did you know watching/recording can effect your Internet bandwidth.
  5. Have you checked the broadband statistics on your Residential Gateway?  It can show you issues that may be causing you to get less than you pay for.  Go to http://192.168.1.254/ and navigate around until you see the Broadband page with sync rates and error counts.  Post what you see here for our "expert" analysis.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

its done wired and i wasent aware tvs can cause slower connection. i will check all this when i get home from work thanks for the replies.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Your U-verse service has a single connection from your RG to the neighborhood VRAD.  This connection is shared by all U-verse services, and priority is given to TV.   I don't know your connection profile, but hypothetically let's say it's the 25/2 profile.  That means you have 25 Mbps total.  If you're viewing (live) or recording one HD program, that's 6 Mbps being used for IPTV, leaving 19 Mbps for HSI.  If you're watching an HD and an SD, then thats 2 Mbps (SD) plus 6 Mbps (HD) for 8 Mbps, leaving you with 17 Mbps.  

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I decided to run the following tests.  We are subscribers to the 18 mbps download speed.  The tests were run on my laptop connected through home Wi-Fi net.  All TV sets are connected via cable.  I used SpeedTest.net and the Kansas City area AT&T supported server.

Here is the result with all TV sets turned off:

Untitled-1.jpg

Then I turned on all three TV sets.....each to a different HD channel and re-ran the test.  There is a 60 second delay that it took me to turn on the TV's.

Untitled-2.jpg

Interesting, huh?    .......Phil

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@hpmsrm wrote:

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I decided to run the following tests.  We are subscribers to the 18 mbps download speed.  The tests were run on my laptop connected through home Wi-Fi net.  All TV sets are connected via cable.  I used SpeedTest.net and the Kansas City area AT&T supported server.

Here is the result with all TV sets turned off:

Untitled-1.jpg

Then I turned on all three TV sets.....each to a different HD channel and re-ran the test.  There is a 60 second delay that it took me to turn on the TV's.

Untitled-2.jpg

Interesting, huh?    .......Phil

100% as expected.  32 Mbps - (3 x 6 Mbps) = ~14 Mbps.  Upstream usage of IPTV is minimal.

2 Attachments

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah Jeffer I thought that might illustrate the points you guys were making.   But now I look at the posts and the images of the test results have disappeared and only the title of the image is there.  Another bug in this blasted new format????

Phil

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, hpmsrm, it did illustrate the point quite well.  And I still see your speed test info images just fine, FWIW.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Jeffer for the come-back.

Yeah....the images have reappeared on my end.  So who knows?  Just ghosts I guess.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

17 megs!!! AT&T tells me I'm at the end of the service line, I get 2 megs if I'm lucky.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.