Need help with your equipment?
pfps's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, February 24th, 2013 7:10 PM

Closed

removing stale DNS entries from the 2wire gateway

I have a stale DNS entry for my laptop's wired ethernet on the gateway.   The laptop is on wireless right now, but the gateway is giving out the wired IP address for my other devices, which means that they cannot connect to the laptop.

How can I remove this stale DNS entry?  An automatic method would be best, but a manual method would be fine as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Then the only thing left is to factory reset the modem. Use the last button on the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Rebooting the gateway should clear any lingering entries.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately rebooting does not appear to work.

I did a "Reboot system" from the Diagnostics pages, but both entries remain.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

On the following page, there is a "Clear List" button under the Devices section. This should clear all devices that don't have a firewall entry. Be aware that it clears all device-specific configuration, including DMZPlus settings, IP address assignments, etc.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately that one doesn't clear the DNS entries either.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, factory reset appears to be the only way to get rid of bad DNS entries, as confirmed by AT&T Tier 2 support.

It is rather stupid to not have a better way to clear bad DNS entries.

• 

6 Messages

9 months ago

Here it is, ten years later. I've got an annoying stale DNS entry on this att 2wire model 5268. pihole resolv.conf keeps pointing to the router at 192.168.1.254. For one ip, it resolves an old stale name from 6+ months ago. If I query 1.1.1.1 or the pihole server itself, the stale entry doesn't exist. Bleh. I really don't want to reset the router to defaults but looks like I'll have to.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

@duotronic 

It is good practice to factory reset Att gateways due to their history of faulty firmware updates.  In your favor, the gateway you have there will no longer be updated.

Att should provide a more recent model for you. 

I'm going to close this thread due to age.  Open another if need help.  Cheers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.