Need help with your equipment?
User2525143's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 1:56 PM

i38hg can it be put into bridge mode?

I need this unit to be in bridge mode, but it does not appear that it can be log onto and edited? If editing is possible how do I put into bridge mode.  I am beging to learn why all the negative press on ATT support.  I was told no problem when I signed up and now they want me to pay 15 a month to get support to make their equipment work.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The i38HG is not the router, that is only a break-out box that converts HPNA over twisted pair to 4 Ethernet interfaces plus a wireless access point.

The router itself is the i3812V (the iNID), which is outside your house.

To use your own router behind the i3812V (which means putting the i3812V in "bridge mode"), follow the instructions in this post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Please note that there is no true "bridge mode" on the 2Wire routers.  However, the steps in that post will configure the router to emulate bridge mode as closely as possible.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Yes;

1. Hook up a your external and a PC directly via Ethernet cable (use a switch) to i38hg

*1. or connect pc, setup wireless, reconnect pc via wireless, and connect external router/gateway via cable to i38hg

2. Access http://gateway.2Wire.net

3. click on Firewall icon

4. Select "Applications, Pinholes and DMZ"

4. Select a "computer" - actually select the name of your external router or enter its IP address

5. Select bullet at bottom for "Allow all applications (DMZ plus mode)"

DMZ plus is good for only one device.  You can still connect other devices (i.e. a laptop wirelessly or directly by cable), but I use DMZ and choose to connect all my devices via my external router so that I can manage access via advanced features.

I did this while the ATT tech was still instaling Uverse.  He had not heard of this, and had been "tought" to tell customers never to place a roter behind the i38hg.  But he didn't know why.  This works well.  No worries.  Your external router is assigned a IP address (not sure if class A or B) straight off the ATT network, which is different from the normal i38hg (class C) 192.xx.xx.xx type address output .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.