Need help with your equipment?
cantare's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, April 1st, 2013 3:32 AM

i3812+i38HG, lost internet, need help troubleshooting

SETUP: I have a pair-bonded 18Mbps connection with i3812 iNID & 2wire i38HG.  Internet only, no voice or tv. My computers are hooked to a linksys router on 192.168.0.x; the 2wire gateway is 192.168.1.254 and passes my UVerse public IP to the linksys via DMZ

SYMPTOMS:

• Internet went down abruptly while I was using it.
  • Outdoor iNID has POWER, BATTERY, VDSL 1 & VDSL 2 lights steady green--but DATA & all others are dark. 
  • i38HG shows only POWER and WIRELESS lights active.  POWER light flashes green with WIRELESS light on steady grren, then POWER goes solid green, WIRELESS goes off, then there's a green flicker from ETHERNET, then POWER goes steady *red* for 1 sec, then back to flashing green and the whole cycle repeats.  
  • I can no longer reach the gateway's web interface at 192.168.1.254, nor can I ping this address. 

What I've already tried:

Power cycling all routers and the iNID hasn't restored service. I've tried resetting/rebooting both the i38HG and the i3812 with the recessed RESET button; that didn't change anything either.  AT&T's help site says they can successfully sync to my residential gateway, and the steady VDSL 1&2 lights on that unit seem to confirm that I have signal to that point.  

Any idea what my problem might be? Hardware fault in the i38HG box? the iNID itself? Problem on AT&T side?  Wiring from iNID to i38HG could be at fault, but it's hard to believe this would happen suddenly after 2 years without any obvious cause.  Anyway, I can't use the web interface to turn on the outside ethernet port that would allow me to test this.

Appreciate any help,

Adam

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@cantare wrote:

Thanks again, unrtechie.  I did actually think of the power adapter as a possible factor--but I could barely convince my landlord to pull his i38HG box for me to test, and its power adapter was part of an unholy, inaccessible tangle that he refused to touch (can't really blame him there).

Should it really be 12VDC? My i38HG power adapter says '2Wire', so I know it's the one my installer brought with the device (in mid-2011), and it reads: "Output 5.1V 2.2A".  No blue sticker.  It had worked fine for almost 2 years...was this the wrong (2701) adapter from the start?  I ransacked my house but can't find any more psu of that voltage/current combo to try out.  Hopefully the tech will bring a spare.

Thats probably your issue.  It looks like they reused the power supply from a 2701 which is 2.2A not 2.0A which does over time cause issues.  I can't say for sure what voltage is on the sticker for the i38HG power supply, I just remember it being dark blue and saying Pace since they own 2Wire now.  When the tech comes out make sure he swaps the power supply as well because that should help barring any issues with the wiring or i3812.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

11 years ago

First contact Tech Support at (800) 288-2020, it will be the quickest way to get a technican to your home.

If you can't get the proper help from them then send a private message to the escalation team at ATTCustomerCare and someone will get in touch with you.

Remember to include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them. 

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed. To check for their reply, click the blue envelope here Private Messagesor at the top right side of the webpage.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@cantare wrote:

SETUP: I have a pair-bonded 18Mbps connection with i3812 iNID & 2wire i38HG.  Internet only, no voice or tv. My computers are hooked to a linksys router on 192.168.0.x; the 2wire gateway is 192.168.1.254 and passes my UVerse public IP to the linksys via DMZ

SYMPTOMS:

• Internet went down abruptly while I was using it.
  • Outdoor iNID has POWER, BATTERY, VDSL 1 & VDSL 2 lights steady green--but DATA & all others are dark. 
  • i38HG shows only POWER and WIRELESS lights active.  POWER light flashes green with WIRELESS light on steady grren, then POWER goes solid green, WIRELESS goes off, then there's a green flicker from ETHERNET, then POWER goes steady *red* for 1 sec, then back to flashing green and the whole cycle repeats.  
  • I can no longer reach the gateway's web interface at 192.168.1.254, nor can I ping this address. 

What I've already tried:

Power cycling all routers and the iNID hasn't restored service. I've tried resetting/rebooting both the i38HG and the i3812 with the recessed RESET button; that didn't change anything either.  AT&T's help site says they can successfully sync to my residential gateway, and the steady VDSL 1&2 lights on that unit seem to confirm that I have signal to that point.  

Any idea what my problem might be? Hardware fault in the i38HG box? the iNID itself? Problem on AT&T side?  Wiring from iNID to i38HG could be at fault, but it's hard to believe this would happen suddenly after 2 years without any obvious cause.  Anyway, I can't use the web interface to turn on the outside ethernet port that would allow me to test this.

Appreciate any help,

Adam

What you have is that the connection between the inside unit and outside unit is down.  First thing is check the wiring connections and make sure there is a phone cord in the green jack on the i38HG running to the wall.  Then make sure theres no damage to it, which may require you to try another cord.  The other way to check is to take the i38HG and plug the end of the phone cord into the green jack on the front of the i3812 which will tell you if both pieces are working correctly and it's a wiring issue between the two.  If that is the case then you'll need to determine if you can do it or if you need to contact tech support to have someone come out to correct the wiring.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, unrtechie... the hpna data cord was connected as you describe (thru a filter) when the connection was abruptly lost.  I did try 2 other phone cords, to no avail. 

For testing at the iNID, I guess you are referring to the green & yellow "voice line" jacks (I also see grey and black "from CO" jacks that appear to carry the live VDSL signal; I get red flashing lights on the iNID panel when I unplug either of these.)  Plugging the data cable from i38HG directly to the green i3812 jack, with or without an intervening voice dsl splitter/filter [and, optionally, powercycling the i38HG and the i3812] doesn't produce any different result from what I get inside.  I can't get the DATA light to turn on, and I presume that's what would indicate the 2 devices are talking to each other.

I'm seriously puzzled now, because this morning I also swapped i38HG units with my landlord who lives in the other half of my duplex.  His internet has been working fine, and it continued to work with my unit in place.  I couldn't even get his i38HG to POST when connected to my wiring--POWER light stayed solid red.  (I could only keep his device for a few minutes, no chance for extensive testing.) So it isn't the i38HG--and trying different phone cords or bypassing my internal HPNA wiring by plugging straight into the iNID also does nothing, so I assume the wiring is OK too.  Yet the outdoor i3812 seems to have signal, and AT&T tech help reports sync & line quality look fine from their end. I guess the only thing left is some fault within the i3812. I've rebooted it many times, but the one thing I haven't tried is a factory reset (hold down iPSU reseet button for >10 sec).  Any downside to doing this, before I ask a tech to come out?

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@cantare wrote:

Thanks, unrtechie... the hpna data cord was connected as you describe (thru a filter) when the connection was abruptly lost.  I did try 2 other phone cords, to no avail. 

For testing at the iNID, I guess you are referring to the green & yellow "voice line" jacks (I also see grey and black "from CO" jacks that appear to carry the live VDSL signal; I get red flashing lights on the iNID panel when I unplug either of these.)  Plugging the data cable from i38HG directly to the green i3812 jack, with or without an intervening voice dsl splitter/filter [and, optionally, powercycling the i38HG and the i3812] doesn't produce any different result from what I get inside.  I can't get the DATA light to turn on, and I presume that's what would indicate the 2 devices are talking to each other.

I'm seriously puzzled now, because this morning I also swapped i38HG units with my landlord who lives in the other half of my duplex.  His internet has been working fine, and it continued to work with my unit in place.  I couldn't even get his i38HG to POST when connected to my wiring--POWER light stayed solid red.  (I could only keep his device for a few minutes, no chance for extensive testing.) So it isn't the i38HG--and trying different phone cords or bypassing my internal HPNA wiring by plugging straight into the iNID also does nothing, so I assume the wiring is OK too.  Yet the outdoor i3812 seems to have signal, and AT&T tech help reports sync & line quality look fine from their end. I guess the only thing left is some fault within the i3812. I've rebooted it many times, but the one thing I haven't tried is a factory reset (hold down iPSU reseet button for >10 sec).  Any downside to doing this, before I ask a tech to come out?

If plugging the cord into the green voice line does nothing than you will need a tech out because the HPNA signal originates from there. I would tend to think that the outside unit is bad.  Also, if you're getting a red power light it indicates some sort of failure in the i38HG.  Could be the wrong power supply.  Make sure if they change out the i38HG they also change the power supply with it because while the i38HG looks like a 2701 and will work on the same power supply they will burn out.  They are supposed to only be installed with the supplied power adapter.  The new power adapters have a blue sticker on them that says "Pace 12V" I believe. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks again, unrtechie.  I did actually think of the power adapter as a possible factor--but I could barely convince my landlord to pull his i38HG box for me to test, and its power adapter was part of an unholy, inaccessible tangle that he refused to touch (can't really blame him there).

Should it really be 12VDC? My i38HG power adapter says '2Wire', so I know it's the one my installer brought with the device (in mid-2011), and it reads: "Output 5.1V 2.2A".  No blue sticker.  It had worked fine for almost 2 years...was this the wrong (2701) adapter from the start?  I ransacked my house but can't find any more psu of that voltage/current combo to try out.  Hopefully the tech will bring a spare.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

For the record, the blue sticker says 12W (watts) ... DC output is 5.1V, 2.3A (which doesn't seem materially different from the old one at 5.1V/2.2A). 

I know this because the tech today thought my i38HG was bad--he brought a new one with new data cable and power adapter. I asked him if he could leave the old one behind, which he did.  After he was gone I restored the old i38HG and data cable, adding only the new power adapter, et voila!  (Now I'm really bummed my landlord wouldn't pull his power cord for me to try--he even said, "Oh, those never fail, no way it's gonna be something like that!" grr Man Mad)

Noted for posterity: Had a slight problem getting my NAT router-behind-router setup restored...I had to re-enable DMZ-plus mode on the 2WIRE, but I kept getting "general failure" on pings and could not reach the internet or 192.168.1.254 at all when I configured my NIC with static IP of 192.168.0.3. My linksys LAN router (192.168.0.1) was receiving the DMZ'd public IP from the 2WIRE, WAN/Internet route table looked correct, and WiFi devices with DHCP assigments connected with no trouble.  A bit of googling suggested third-party software/drivers as a possible culprit--and then I remembered I'd just installed AT&T's recommended network troubleshooting tool!  Did a system restore to before that point, and my static IP setup worked as before.  Wish troubleshooting tools adhered to the "First do no harm" principle, but oh well...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.