Need help with your equipment?
ronseg1's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 8:16 PM

extend wireless signal

I have a 2wire Uverse modem model 3801HGV. I also have an old westell modem model 327W and a belkin modem model FSD7230-4. I would like to connect one of these to the 2wire modem to extend my wireless range to the other area of my house. I can connect via cable if necessary to the other area of my house. I have tried a netgear extender, but it kept disconnecting from the 2wire. How EXACTLY do I do this or what other method should I use? (I also have a 2wire old DSL modem that may or may not work, that I could try.)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

From what I can tell your Belkin FSD7230-4 is not a modem but an Ethernet/WiFi router. You should be able to run a CAT-5E  Ethernet cable from the RG to the FSD7230-4 in another part of the house and set that router up as a WiFi AP for that part of the house. The RG will try to put the Belkin router into DMZ+ mode but you need to force it back into regular DHCP mode. You need to read the manual. I can't give you a step-by-step guide on how to do this.

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74559-a_f5d7230-4_man_6-04.pdf

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I have been working with Belkin to make this router an access point. I seem to be having a lot of problems doing that. Is it possible that I'm using the wrong IP address? When I go onto the ATT site, I read my IP addresses as 192.xxx.x.65 to 71. What IP address should I put into the Belkin? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

OK. This is really basic IP addressing stuff. The 192.168.XXX.XXX range of numbers was originally set up for testing local networks. It has become a standard address range for setting up home LANs. The advantage is that all network routers know to never actually attempt to route these addresses to the Internet. On the broadband side you will have a single real IP address. (e.g. 74.125.45.103)  this goes through a process called Network Address Translation (NAT) to become something in the rang 192.168.XXX.XXX on the LAN side. (e.g 192.168.0.101). 

You really need to find a basic how-to guide on setting up a home LAN. There's too much information for me to sit here and type it all out in detail for you.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

@ronseg1 wrote:

I have a 2wire Uverse modem model 3801HGV. I also have an old westell modem model 327W and a belkin modem model FSD7230-4. I would like to connect one of these to the 2wire modem to extend my wireless range to the other area of my house. I can connect via cable if necessary to the other area of my house. I have tried a netgear extender, but it kept disconnecting from the 2wire. How EXACTLY do I do this or what other method should I use? (I also have a 2wire old DSL modem that may or may not work, that I could try.)

Glad you're getting some help but I can't understand why the Netgear extender did not work for you.  How far away was it from the Uverse 3801?  I ask this because I use a Netgear extender and works perfectly.  I also installed another one in a friends home and it works just fine with his 2-wire internet modem.  They were both so simple to set up and work so well that your comment surprised me.  Just wondered how your Netgear unit was set up.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, I finally got connected.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

It worked fine but the signal was dropped daily and had to reconnect every day.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Has anyone have any experience with Netgear universal dual band extender (WN2500R) need to boost signal on my 2 wire gateway 3800HGV-B

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.