Need help with your equipment?
rigosan's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 8:52 PM

boost wifi signal

is there any way to make my wifi signal stronger?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Update: ATT store says they do not have signal boosters. They do not know what tech support is referring to. I was told there is a problem with the "black" wifi routers - which is what I have. It needs to be replaced - except when they called TS their service center is down, expect it to be back up in maybe 4 hours. BUT they want to troubleshoot with me further. Which is ridiculous as I had already exhausted troubleshooting and was sent to the ATT store. This experience is turning into a COMCAST commercial. I'm very unhappy and will keep you posted.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

Since my earlier post on this thread, way back at the beginning of the year, I have added a range-extender to our home.  The one I purchased is the NetGear but there are others.  Nearly every router manufacturer also makes and sells extenders.  The extender is really nothing more than a repeater.  Picks up the signal from the RG & your device... and resends it.  The only wire involved is the one to the power outlet on the wall. One version from NetGear actually just plugs into a wall outlet, like a night-light, anywhere in the house....as long as it is within range of the RG.  My NetGear was very simple to set up.  I followed the instructions....including those regarding optimum location for the extender.  Now...between the RG and the extender we have great Wi-Fi all over our 1560 sq. ft. home and the patio at the back of the house.  An extender can be purchased nearly anywhere that sells PC's and routers, etc.  Prices run from around $50 to $80 depending on features and whether you need single or dual band capability.    Just my suggestion.  I like simple.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

I think there are some misconceptions flying around here, but ACE - Guru hpmsrm is doing a good job clearing them up.

Power settings are by default 400mW on the 2Wire3800/3801/3600. I'm not sure about the iNID IU, NVG510, or 2Wire 2701. Changing this setting will not, by itself, cause a lower lifespan. 400mW is not 'overclocking' your RG's wifi, it's well within the safe range. I'd recommend making it 400mW unless you're paranoid about your neighbors cracking your WNK.

The way that tech support over the phone will 'boost' your signal is by changing the wireless frequency (channel). For some this works, for some this doesn't. It's worth a shot but the automatic channel detection algorithm is pretty good.

I'd suggest that if wireless 2.4GHz G isn't working for you, either buy a dual band wireless G/N extender. To hook it up, you press the WPS button on the extender, then go inside 192.168.1.254 in your browser, click on wireless, then enable WPS and click on the button to activate WPS on the 2Wire RG within the time frame (usually 2m)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Sometimes if your intended coverage area is in a specific direction, i.e., directional in need, an inexpensive antenna can do the trick. Often the antennas that came with a product are 2 dBi. For example, this directional 6dBi might make a big difference for you if that is your application. See: http://www.air802.com/wifi-antenna-directional-6-dbi-2.4-ghz-rp-sma-direct-attachment.html

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Not sure if you found your answer, but you can just purchase a current router.  I use the ASUS RT-N56U and love it.  Make sure you do a littel homework ahead of time to know which ones can do it.  I think most can by today's standards.

All you need to do is plug your trusty CAT5e cable from the ATT switch port to your new fancy schmancy router. You WILL need to make the new fancy schmancy router into a n Access Point (AP), but it is very simple.

Viola!  You will have extended the reach of your ATT equipment.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not trying to be needlessly antagonistic, but I do want to point out that the coverage is better than 625ft. If the router needs to be within 25 feet, then its area of coverage is pi*25^2 or approximately 1960sqft. Now, that assumes you live in a (one story circular) yurt. If you live in a one story square house, then you will achieve full coverage if your house is 1250 sqft or less, since that is the size of the square that fits inside a circle of radius 25ft. If its a two story house under 2250 sq ft, there is a decent chance you will have full coverage.

In related area, I have been told by a cable tech that housing your router off the ground helps signal. That seamed to help, but I did not really experiment with it.

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

10 years ago

The location of your router will have a major impact on the distance. Make sure it is not close to any monitors printers and lamps and it should be not be placed on the ground. I have mine sitting on top of my desk shelves with nothing on either side. I have  the AT&T 3801HGV Residential Gateway.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

A stand alone range booster that acts as a repeater will cut your bandwidth in half. A 3rd party access point, connected to the RG with ethernet cable, and locating the AP in the area of the house where Wi-Fi signal is desired is the optimal solution. Full bandwidth is maintained because the AP only has to communicate wirelessly with the client devices rather than pulling double duty by wirelessly talking to both the RG and clients. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but boosting the transmit signal doesn't boost your laptop signal when it sends a signal back to the wireless router.  I think there is an unmerited emphasis on just boosting the signal, when you should be thinking of moving things around in your space to get the best coverage.  Download inSSIDer to see the signal strength by channel, and change the channels and location as needed.  You may be competing for the same data with other channels, some of which may be stronger than yours.

Also, if everyone keeps upping their signal strength, all you do is just increase the noise going into your neighbor's WiFi network, and her noise is coming into yours.  That's more overlapping channels and more work for your network to sort it out.  Consider instead putting your effort into optimizing the channels and placement, or maybe adding Ethernet over Power with a subsidiary router, and you'll  be more effective

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I want an application to boost WiFi signals by downloading &Installing the application. Please name that application from Google store & oblige.
Regards.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.