Need help with your equipment?
rigosan's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 8:52 PM

boost wifi signal

is there any way to make my wifi signal stronger?

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

There are two ways.  The way I did was to call ts and the csr increased my wifi signal.  Someone will be along to tell you the way you can do it yourself.

Scholar

• 

255 Messages

12 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

There are two ways.  The way I did was to call ts and the csr increased my wifi signal.  Someone will be along to tell you the way you can do it yourself.

Can you post your settings from this page?

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Not sure what a CSR could have done.  I believe the range on these RGs is rather small compared to a premium (~$100) standalone router.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Call ts and find out.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

As indicated above.....go here with your browser:  http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Then scroll down.  Near the bottom of the page you'll find the "Power setting" item.  The maximum power is 400 mW.  I think this is default with most RG's.  But if yours is set on less you can change it.  You'll need the system password which is on a label on the side of your RG.....in order to make any settings changes.  If your power setting is less than 400 click on it and then select that setting from the list.  Then at the bottom of the screen save your new setting.

If you are already running at max. output power I believe your option is to purchase a higher powered wireless router and connect it to an Ethernet port on the RG.  Don't forget to turn off the wireless router in the RG.  At least that is how I under stand the setup.

gbh62, I've had telephone techs access my RG settings remotely.  They claimed they could change them.  I didn't question it.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

How much stronger do you need it to be. Like, do you want to reach from the living room to the basement or do you want to reach from the living room to the barn? If you are just trying to get from one area of the house to another, then you might try repositioning it so that there is nothing metal aroud it or get it up off the floor. If you need to to reach more distant locations you might consider a device like EnGenius EOC1650 outside WiFi access point.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Is there any downside to increasing Power setting?  Seems it would be set strongest by default if no downside..

Wayne

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@wtruitt wrote:

Is there any downside to increasing Power setting?  Seems it would be set strongest by default if no downside..

Wayne

The life of the unit will decrease but I don't know by how much.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Guess that isn't a bad thing if AT&T owns the router

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have spent countless hours with online and phone tech support since having my Uverse internet and TV installed.  The wireless signal strength is VERY bad - subpar by any standard. They also attached to my router and verified the signal setting was on max. The last word I got from ATT support was that you need to be within 25 feet of the router.  25x25 = 625 sq ft.  How many of you live in a 625 sq ft apartment?  I live in a 1,400 sq ft home which by most standards is on the small side.  How can they do a BRAND NEW install in a home and expect it to work with these parameters?  So I asked, what do I do?  And I was told to go to the ATT store and purchase a signal booster.  I am waiting for said store to open and I will go see what my options are and how much $$ and I will report back.  I will also visit the local BEST BUY store and see if they have options as good and cheaper than ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.